• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Shun 3 1/2" paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehunter

Banned
Reaction score
Long shot, but since there are so many Shun haters on the forums these days, thought someone might have one stuck in a drawer, out of sight of their "good" knives. ;-) Cosmetics not important.

I got one of those in good condition...

This is one of those shiny damascus kaji selling for $179 at Wm Sonoma....are you sure you want something this fancy? I'm thinking maybe $100 including shipping. Let me know.
s.

Oh, gosh no, Seth. I guess I should have indicated Shun Classic. I was thinking something in the $30-40 range. :) Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, that's what I figured you were looking for...ignore pm.

No sweat. I should have been more specific. I that your dog in your avatar? It's either the most beautiful Golden I've ever seen, or it's another breed.

Golden...and she is a seriously good looking dog in real life with a personality to match. Big blocky head; gentle personality. She is certified to do therapy work and we visit the local hospital every week. My favorite trick was teaching her to blink on cue. She jumps up and swats the big button that opens the hospital doors. I really lucked out on this one!

IMO, that little paring knife may be the best knife in shun's classic line. The integral bolster on mine isn't perfect, but just the fact that it has one is cool. Otherwise f&f is just fine and the fact that it's "only" vg10 doesn't matter as much when it never touches the board.

I understand people thinking that $90 for a new one is a bit high (the biggest knock against all shuns) but I don't think I'd ever sell mine at half price.

Well, that is my opinion as well. I can still find one in the $50-60 dollar range, but I'm always up for a deal, and you never get anything if you don't ask? ;-)

i'd sell you mine if my fiancé wouldn't freak, as it is the knife-o'-my that she most uses. i think the 6 inch utility is the best knife in the Shun classic line, but the 3.5 parer is pretty good too.

Well, the shorter Shun knives don't have to put up with that....Too German, too much belly crap. ;-) But I want to thank you guys for telling me why you're NOT going to sell me your knives. LOL

that's exactly right. the shorter Shuns are also quite thin, and i think their balance is very handy.

Thanks to all who responded. I found my knife and was surprised there were so many replies. I think I responded to all those who sent a PM. If I missed someone, please accept my apology. Thanks again.

Regards, John

i'd sell you mine if my fiancé wouldn't freak, as it is the knife-o'-my that she most uses. i think the 6 inch utility is the best knife in the Shun classic line, but the 3.5 parer is pretty good too.

I've heard good things about those shun parers. I'm not a hater at all, but I also agree with EdipisR's comment. These knives will become wife knives. My wife would freak if I let go the Miyabi birchwood parer. Even the babysitter likes to use it.

k.

Yeah, I like the short Shuns, the parers and the six inch utility. I bought both my daughters the so-called "Garden set" with the 3 1/2" veggie knife (the sheepsfoot with the straight edge) and these terrific little herb snips (for Xmas). They both have herb gardens 1/2 the size of the Amazon jungle, so I thought they deserved some dedicated shears. Naturally, I had to try out the paring knives and make sure they were up to snuff. A few strokes on a very fine stone and I almost cut off my thumb the first time I pushed one through a potato. ;-)

I have a 10" Shun Classic chef, bought used in good condition, at an irresistible price (35 bucks), but in this case I have to agree with the consensus on the long, sweeping tip, so I rarely reach for it, with 240 Kagayaki wa gyuto and Tojiro DP close at hand. It IS a top flight watermelon knife. <g>

Anyhow, I've been thinking about them ever since . Shuns have become outlandishly expensive on ebay these days, so thought I would give the Trading Posts a try. Ended up with the veggie knife, which seller says has been used about a dozen times, at a very fair price, so I'm quite pleased. The only negative is that I had to pass up a nifty little Misono 80mm moly, with a nifty little saya. Actually, I'm still thinking about it...everyone should have at least two parers, right? ;-)

Misono parer, eh? I've been after a "wife knife" for a while....

I've got one, not sure if it's 3.5 or not, but it also is an Alton's Angle issue. PM me if u are interested. Will send pics,etc when I get off work.

Thanks for the offer. My apologies, I thought I had posted that I bought one a week or so ago.

Back