Quantcast
ebay Yanagi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebay Yanagi

ebay Yanagi

I have heard that blueway japan is a good seller and was curious about your folks thoughts on this knife. I am considering buying it, just would like some input.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230693141567...84.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts, good or bad?

I have no idea but it's damascus, nice-looking handle and a decent size for under $200. How does someone make a good knife for that kind of money? Seems too good to be true. If you are looking for a model, it's probably fine but I would expect to find some sort of grind issues or other. Then again, it is Blueway... Good luck!

I have no experience of this particular knife, but I've bought loads of knives from Keiichi and they are generally fantastic value. Just something I noticed, isn't that particular knife White #3? So maybe that explains why it is so cheap

If you plan to make a yanagi and want to have one up close to study, you should just borrow one from a member here. I agree with tk on probability of it being a low quality knife.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

BWJ sells knives from several different makers. I have 3 knives from Yusuke (all great), but none from the maker of this yanagi. This knife is white #3 per the spec's. Personally I would get one of his other yanagi's made w/ white #2 even though they are not damascus. And I agree w/ TK and MT - how good can they really be for under $200. They may have grind issues, but for a learning yanagi I think they're prolly fine. Also check Yoshihiro Cutlery on eBay for other low-priced yanagi's - they all come w/ saya's. mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I've got two Kinikuchi white #2 from Keiichi, a deba and an usuba. An usuba came with pretty decent grind and finish, and was fairly straight, a fantastic value knife. A deba came with little warp / bent towards the tip curving back to jigane side. Ura grind close to the tip was crooked as well.

So Kinikuchi white #2 line could be a hit and miss; however, blue #2 line with octagonal handle suppose to have better fit & finish and better grind as well.

As schanop alluded to, BWJ sell loads of knives that aren't listed. I was given a list of about 8 different usubas Keiichi sells when I emailed him. The price for mine was very reasonable, even for a lefty and after a little TLC is working out pretty good. Just an idea if you are looking for a yanagi that isn't super expensive

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    I've got two Kinikuchi...
    I think you mean "Kichikuni" lol
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    I think you mean "Kichikuni" lol
    that's the one!

yamawaku v2 yanagi is another one to check out

+ Reply to Thread