Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebay Yanagi

ebay Yanagi

I have heard that blueway japan is a good seller and was curious about your folks thoughts on this knife. I am considering buying it, just would like some input.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/230693141567...84.m1423.l2649

Any thoughts, good or bad?

I have no idea but it's damascus, nice-looking handle and a decent size for under $200. How does someone make a good knife for that kind of money? Seems too good to be true. If you are looking for a model, it's probably fine but I would expect to find some sort of grind issues or other. Then again, it is Blueway... Good luck!

I have no experience of this particular knife, but I've bought loads of knives from Keiichi and they are generally fantastic value. Just something I noticed, isn't that particular knife White #3? So maybe that explains why it is so cheap

If you plan to make a yanagi and want to have one up close to study, you should just borrow one from a member here. I agree with tk on probability of it being a low quality knife.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

BWJ sells knives from several different makers. I have 3 knives from Yusuke (all great), but none from the maker of this yanagi. This knife is white #3 per the spec's. Personally I would get one of his other yanagi's made w/ white #2 even though they are not damascus. And I agree w/ TK and MT - how good can they really be for under $200. They may have grind issues, but for a learning yanagi I think they're prolly fine. Also check Yoshihiro Cutlery on eBay for other low-priced yanagi's - they all come w/ saya's. mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I've got two Kinikuchi white #2 from Keiichi, a deba and an usuba. An usuba came with pretty decent grind and finish, and was fairly straight, a fantastic value knife. A deba came with little warp / bent towards the tip curving back to jigane side. Ura grind close to the tip was crooked as well.

So Kinikuchi white #2 line could be a hit and miss; however, blue #2 line with octagonal handle suppose to have better fit & finish and better grind as well.

As schanop alluded to, BWJ sell loads of knives that aren't listed. I was given a list of about 8 different usubas Keiichi sells when I emailed him. The price for mine was very reasonable, even for a lefty and after a little TLC is working out pretty good. Just an idea if you are looking for a yanagi that isn't super expensive

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    I've got two Kinikuchi...
    I think you mean "Kichikuni" lol
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    I think you mean "Kichikuni" lol
    that's the one!

yamawaku v2 yanagi is another one to check out