Quantcast
WTBorrow Global Chef Knife (yes, seriously)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTBorrow Global Chef Knife (yes, seriously)

WTBorrow Global Chef Knife (yes, seriously)

Is there anyone here who would be willing to let me kick the absolute crap out of a Global Chef?
    I haven't handled one since I really learned what good knives are, and even then it wasn't extensive "handling".
    Basically, I want to find out whether or not the bad reputation is completely warranted, or if it's more a matter of them falling out of favour with people like us, while the general foodie public is becoming more familiar with them. This of course, results in escalated prices at the same time we think less of them, causing us to like them even less.
    Did I mention, I plan on kicking the crap out of it!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

That's a worthy cause in my book, and sorry for clouding the WTB sub-forum with my sarcastic post

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Is there anyone here who would be willing to let me kick the absolute crap out of a Global Chef?
    I haven't handled one since I really learned what good knives are, and even then it wasn't extensive "handling".
    Basically, I want to find out whether or not the bad reputation is completely warranted, or if it's more a matter of them falling out of favour with people like us, while the general foodie public is becoming more familiar with them. This of course, results in escalated prices at the same time we think less of them, causing us to like them even less.
    Did I mention, I plan on kicking the crap out of it!
    I recently used a global 8" chefs for a while (late last year?). I didn't think it was awful. I thought it was decent but unimpressive in any way.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I like mine, and am wondering the same thing just like you are. I don't have a chef knife per say but close. If you put your own edge on it seems nice and holds for a good while. I have noticed in the last few years how much in price they have gone up and I think they are about to go to high over what they are worth. But also I don't prep as much as I used to 10 years ago either. Hope this happens want to see what your consumer report is.

For what it's worth, they do get pretty sharp and perform well. Like TK mentioned nothing to get excited about but nothing wrong with them... they don't chip btw the steel bends first so they are soft and a pain to deburr.

I hate sharpening them.

And still no takers...I'll pay shipping by the way. Hell, I'll buy it for $20.
    09/06

And still no takers...I'll pay shipping by the way. Hell, I'll buy it for $20.
    If I had one, it'd be on the way, but the only Global I have is a GS39:

Rick

Can I beat the snot out of it???
    09/06

Can I beat the snot out of it???
    You can try, but it's pretty tough.

+ Reply to Thread