Quantcast
WTBorrow Global Chef Knife (yes, seriously) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTBorrow Global Chef Knife (yes, seriously)

Ok, since this isn't going anywhere, I'll add a Mac chef to the list, and even a Shun. I want to settle this "x isn't as good as y" stuff for once and for all (for me).
    Oh yeah, and thanks Rick I'll wait it out, but maybe
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Globals were my gateway drug, a pain to deburr, edge gets good (not great) and lasts a while, compared to trad henkcles and wusthofs they're lasers- but compared to what you can buy with some knowledge they are poor.

I have this if your interested ....http://sointuusa.com/product.php?bra...entID=g4....it was my first knife out of culinary school...I am willing to sacrifice it for the glory of your experiments. Not exactly a chef's knife but closer then any of the other threads i've seen. BTW it needs some serious sharpening

Here's a Global with Lefty's Name on It

I guess I can help out on this quest. Hello, I'm Dennis from Michigan. Been lurking and learning here for about a year. Globals were my "gateway" as well. Started with a block of Henckels and Gerbers that made way for Globals about 10 years ago. They've been getting replaced by Hittori, Hiro and Harner blades one by one. All gone except for a petty and paring that, likewise, I beat the crap out of. I went down in the basement and dug up an 8" G-2. Get me your details, Lefty, and I'll send her your way for a brutalization.

Thanks Dennis! If you're 100% sure, I'd love to give it a go. My only real concern is chipping it, etc, past the point of my repair skills. I won't be cutting through cans or branches, but I do plan on testing it against a good old Henckels (durability), some Carters (performance, edge keenness), my Rodrigue (edge holding, toughness, performance) and a Misono Moly (comparable steel, hardness, price pount and purpose).
    I'll start out by putting a fresh edge on it, and seeing how it holds and what it's capable of overall. Then, I'll come up with some head to head testing.
    Thanks Dennis!
    09/06

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Now I am even more curious about how you will do this. I am def. interested on how they will stand up against Carter, and Rodrigue. Hope you do a wip on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I won't be cutting through cans or branches, but I do plan on testing it against a good old Henckels (durability), some Carters (performance, edge keenness), my Rodrigue (edge holding, toughness, performance) and a Misono Moly (comparable steel, hardness, price pount and purpose).
    Please post videos of the global cutting through those other knives

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    ...My only real concern is chipping it, etc, past the point of my repair skills...
    I'd be happy to fix it after you've had your way with it, Lefty.

Tinh, if I can't fix it, I'll let you do it, if Dennis is cool with it. But, what does that say about my grinding skills??? Haha
    09/06

It probably means you have more exciting things to do than to sit around and grind stuff up in your free time, lol. I've been getting a lot of practice lately.

+ Reply to Thread