• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTBorrow Global Chef Knife (yes, seriously)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who would be willing to let me kick the absolute crap out of a Global Chef?
I haven't handled one since I really learned what good knives are, and even then it wasn't extensive "handling".
Basically, I want to find out whether or not the bad reputation is completely warranted, or if it's more a matter of them falling out of favour with people like us, while the general foodie public is becoming more familiar with them. This of course, results in escalated prices at the same time we think less of them, causing us to like them even less.
Did I mention, I plan on kicking the crap out of it!

Is there anyone here who would be willing to let me kick the absolute crap out of a Global Chef?
I haven't handled one since I really learned what good knives are, and even then it wasn't extensive "handling".
Basically, I want to find out whether or not the bad reputation is completely warranted, or if it's more a matter of them falling out of favour with people like us, while the general foodie public is becoming more familiar with them. This of course, results in escalated prices at the same time we think less of them, causing us to like them even less.
Did I mention, I plan on kicking the crap out of it!

I recently used a global 8" chefs for a while (late last year?). I didn't think it was awful. I thought it was decent but unimpressive in any way.

I like mine, and am wondering the same thing just like you are. I don't have a chef knife per say but close. If you put your own edge on it seems nice and holds for a good while. I have noticed in the last few years how much in price they have gone up and I think they are about to go to high over what they are worth. But also I don't prep as much as I used to 10 years ago either. Hope this happens want to see what your consumer report is.:headbang:

For what it's worth, they do get pretty sharp and perform well. Like TK mentioned nothing to get excited about but nothing wrong with them... they don't chip btw the steel bends first so they are soft and a pain to deburr.

And still no takers...I'll pay shipping by the way. Hell, I'll buy it for $20.

And still no takers...I'll pay shipping by the way. Hell, I'll buy it for $20.

If I had one, it'd be on the way, but the only Global I have is a GS39:

21qhGj4sMjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rick

Can I beat the snot out of it???

Ok, since this isn't going anywhere, I'll add a Mac chef to the list, and even a Shun. I want to settle this "x isn't as good as y" stuff for once and for all (for me).
Oh yeah, and thanks Rick I'll wait it out, but maybe :)

Globals were my gateway drug, a pain to deburr, edge gets good (not great) and lasts a while, compared to trad henkcles and wusthofs they're lasers- but compared to what you can buy with some knowledge they are poor.

I guess I can help out on this quest. Hello, I'm Dennis from Michigan. Been lurking and learning here for about a year. Globals were my "gateway" as well. Started with a block of Henckels and Gerbers that made way for Globals about 10 years ago. They've been getting replaced by Hittori, Hiro and Harner blades one by one. All gone except for a petty and paring that, likewise, I beat the crap out of. I went down in the basement and dug up an 8" G-2. Get me your details, Lefty, and I'll send her your way for a brutalization.

Thanks Dennis! If you're 100% sure, I'd love to give it a go. My only real concern is chipping it, etc, past the point of my repair skills. I won't be cutting through cans or branches, but I do plan on testing it against a good old Henckels (durability), some Carters (performance, edge keenness), my Rodrigue (edge holding, toughness, performance) and a Misono Moly (comparable steel, hardness, price pount and purpose).
I'll start out by putting a fresh edge on it, and seeing how it holds and what it's capable of overall. Then, I'll come up with some head to head testing.
Thanks Dennis!

Now I am even more curious about how you will do this. I am def. interested on how they will stand up against Carter, and Rodrigue. Hope you do a wip on this.

I won't be cutting through cans or branches, but I do plan on testing it against a good old Henckels (durability), some Carters (performance, edge keenness), my Rodrigue (edge holding, toughness, performance) and a Misono Moly (comparable steel, hardness, price pount and purpose).

Please post videos of the global cutting through those other knives

Tinh, if I can't fix it, I'll let you do it, if Dennis is cool with it. But, what does that say about my grinding skills??? Haha

It probably means you have more exciting things to do than to sit around and grind stuff up in your free time, lol. I've been getting a lot of practice lately. :)

Hahahahaha. Nah, I've been pretty dang bored myself!

I am wondering what happened to this Lefty? What did you think? Pics on the thrashing you created ect.

Well, I haven't taken pics, but I did use it for basically everything for a couple of weeks. I might put it to some better tests and take pics then. However, for the most part, I actually kinda liked it.
Is it thin behind the edge? Meh. Not overly, but it only wedges on carrots and harder veggies that have a bit of height to them.
It plowed through chicken carcasses like it was its job, only losing some sharpness. Say...15%. The funny thing is, even though it isn't the thinnest knife around, when dull it still cuts pretty well.
I'll concentrate on it again in the next week and a bit and give a decent review in the review section.
Trust me, there are major issues, when compared to our "big names", but it also has a few elements that the big name knives (big to us) might not have....
How's that for a cliff hanger? :)

Globals were my gateway drug, a pain to deburr, edge gets good (not great) and lasts a while, compared to trad henkcles and wusthofs they're lasers- but compared to what you can buy with some knowledge they are poor.

This sums up my opinion of them pretty much to a tee. They cut so much better than all the other mass produced knives, but we all know better alternatives for the money.

It's really just the steel I don't like. It feels like crap on the stones and is frustratingly difficult to put a screaming edge on. When you do finally get there it loses it very quickly. On the other hand though, it holds a passable edge for a really long time. With their price I think they would be great in VG10.

Can't wait being a noob here I wouldn't mind what you are meaning on what they are missing. Btw nice cliffhanger, it just like a tv show take 3 mo. off and leave with another cliff hanger. :gunner::justkidding:

Back