Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to NYC!

Going to NYC!

Hi guys!

Haven't posted around here for a while..... I've been so busy with school for the past months! School's out and I am planning a trip to NYC area.

If you guys have any recommendations, cool shops to visit or basically anything that's really worth seeing while in NYC, I'd be glad to hear your suggestions!

Thanks a lot!!!!

Larry

Go to Korin for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by IndoorOutdoorCook View Post
    Go to Korin for sure!
    Absolutely, but NYC has so much it really depends on your interests - food, theater, sightseeing, shopping. I'd say get a good guide book, but if you have some specifics in mind it would make it a lot easier to make some recommendations.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Liege waffles at waffles and dinges!

Mutual Trading Company near Grand Central Station is an amazing store. Lots of Japanese products including knives and stones

Thanks a lot guys! Didn't even know that Korin and MTC were in NYC!!!!

Yup. MTC stocks Tsukiji Masamoto. They may still do free engraving...haven't been there in a while.
    Korin is the East Coast knife Mecca. After you're done spending the kids' college funds, stop by the Raccoon Lodge a few doors down for a brew.
    Then head up to The Strand http://www.strandbooks.com/ and see if you unearth some funky old cookbooks.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
    Thanks a lot guys! Didn't even know that Korin and MTC were in NYC!!!!
    Korin is nice, but way overpriced. They have a 15% off all knives in July though, at least online. Worth checking out.

I live across the Hudson in Hoboken. Let me know if you're looking for anything specific and I'm happy to give you some recommendations. NYC has everything and plenty of that, so it's tough to give general recommendations. I've covered all the touristy stuff 10 years ago and still feel like I don't know this city. It's amazing for people watching and if you dare to venture outside of Manhattan you can get some of the cheapest, most authentic ethnic food anywhere but those countries. Queens is heaven if you like authentic Korea and Chinese.

I would love to play tourist in New York

Hey, I'll bump this thread since I'll be visiting NYC in August myself. I'll be there for a week with the wife and *without* the toddler for our annual kid-stays-with-grandma trip, so I'm going a bit wild with restaurants... We already have bookings at Le Bernardin and Sushi Nakazawa, and if everything works out we'll be hitting Momofuku Ko, Kura, and Rosanjin too. Sorry, I had to boast a bit, had to get up at 5am twice to get Nakazawa

Any suggestions for cool coffee, bars, snack places, lesser known places to visit...?