Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever Tried Whale Bacon?

Ever Tried Whale Bacon?

Probably a sensitive subject for some, but I was just reading about the Tsukiji fish market in Japan being potentially moved to a new location by next year. They were reviewing some of the history and attractions of the fish market and noted whale bacon. I didn't know there was such a thing. Anyone tried it? What type of whale is it made from?

I've seen it there; only a couple of places carry it. It's cured like a regular Japanese bacon, not Western style.
    Never tried it based on my wife's elementary school lunch horror stories.
    “Though I could not caution all, I still might warn a few; Don’t lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools.” Robert Hunter

Last edited by Smurfmacaw; 01-05-2016 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Can't say anything nice about eating whales.

is it easy to find? I always wanted to try it but the people I travel with were offended with the idea... going back in Oct before it moves so I wouldn't mind knowing where to get it

Never had bacon, but I have eaten 2week old unrefrigerated raw whale blubber harpooned by the Makah indians back in 1999. I don't recommend it.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Never had bacon, but I have eaten 2week old unrefrigerated raw whale blubber harpooned by the Makah indians back in 1999. I don't recommend it.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

there are a few things i eat almost every time i'm in japan (things i cant get elsewhere)... whale bacon is one of those

Are they easy to find for a foreigner?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSharp View Post
    Probably a sensitive subject for some... Anyone tried it? What type of whale is it made from?
    Shame to you eaters above. No doubt this was some of the stuff caught for 'scientific purposes'?

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    Shame to you eaters above. No doubt this was some of the stuff caught for 'scientific purposes'?
    +1000