D. Martell Suji Design - Need Advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we stay with #1 or go with #2?

• #1 - Original Choil

• #2 - New Design Choil

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
So I had a request to add a finger type notch to the choil of my suji. I wanted to use the existing design with an upgrade if at all possible vs a complete redesign. I think that I managed to come up with something that I like and will add the function that the customer is looking for.

Now that I have this one knife I'm starting to wonder if this is a change that I should make to all of my future sujis or if I should keep going with my original design. So I figured that I'd ask you guys what you think.

#1 is the original choil

#2 is the new modified choil

Please cast a vote and comment, I welcome all input.

Thanks!
Dave

P10100066.jpg

P10100033.jpg

P10100044.jpg

Your suji has a nice height at the heel so the modified choil shouldn't be a problem initially but over time, that point is going to be more and more of a problem.

Your suji has a nice height at the heel so the modified choil shouldn't be a problem initially but over time, that point is going to be more and more of a problem.

Like it will gets closer and closer to the hand? I never thought of that

I think it's a really good idea. I can't see how it will become a problem over time, if the blade gets shorter the point will move forward, won't it?

I am not sure it makes much of a difference functionally. I prefer the second option aesthetically.

...I prefer the second option aesthetically.
So do/did I. That's how I know it isn't a good idea. I LIKE my heels nice and sharp and pointy, in general, lol.

I have to go with number 2 also. It looks to me like the point should move forward as height is lost.

I have to go with number 2 also. It looks to me like the point should move forward as height is lost.
Haha. It doesn't matter where the heel is along the length of the handle area. When the heel is at or near the level your fingers are when you are picking up the knife, your middle finger will get nicked regardless every time you pick up the knife. It was the stupidest move I ever made with a custom but like I said, there's plenty of room there. It might not be a problem for a long time. I dunno. I don't have issues with this sort of choil design on gyutos.

That little bit of curve make a really big difference in comfort.

Nothing wrong with the curve. It's just the point at the heel it's just the point coming back toward the handle.

Nothing wrong with the curve. It's just the point at the heel it's just the point coming back toward the handle.

If the heel were slightly rounded, it would not be a problem, right?

Dunno. I don't like rounded heels so I didn't try that, lol.

I can't see how it would be any different one way or the other.

Haha. It doesn't matter where the heel is along the length of the handle area. When the heel is at or near the level your fingers are when you are picking up the knife, your middle finger will get nicked regardless every time you pick up the knife. It was the stupidest move I ever made with a custom but like I said, there's plenty of room there. It might not be a problem for a long time. I dunno. I don't have issues with this sort of choil design on gyutos.

Ahh..gotcha.

Very Steve Jobs always looking for better design in daily things. I like the modified. In fact I prefer it.

I think you should give the customer a choice on the two, but I like 2 better.

How would it be better?
My honest opinion which of course be wrong, shot down, etc. on closer inspection. I see the curve goes somewhat into the handle section. My personal preference is for a curve like there is but not going into the handle section. I just think a curve rather than straight edge would be more comfortable. Wouldn't mind incorporating that in the custom Pierre is making for me. With permission of course. Dave can I put a curve there on my custom. Not the same as yours but it's your idea. I want to keep handle straight then curve it. Just looks more comfortable. I think it's a great idea. :my2cents:

My honest opinion which of course be wrong, shot down, etc. on closer inspection. I see the curve goes somewhat into the handle section. My personal preference is for a curve like there is but not going into the handle section. I just think a curve rather than straight edge would be more comfortable. Wouldn't mind incorporating that in the custom Pierre is making for me. With permission of course. Dave can I put a curve there on my custom. Not the same as yours but it's your idea. I want to keep handle straight then curve it. Just looks more comfortable. I think it's a great idea. :my2cents:
Revision looks like what i was thinking was already done on leftys pettysuki. Nonetheless I still prefer #2 seems nicer aesthetically and even if just psychologically appears more comfortable.

The curve is nice but i don't think it brings anything to the knifes performance(maybe ergonomics, if so im all in for #2).

And for you as a maker won't this create a little more hazzel when cutting up the blade blank etc?

I like the original design. Those curves and whatnot usually end up doing weird things to my hand.

I'm not liking #2. To me, it looks like you sneezed while at the grinder.
From a design strength standpoint, a radiused corner is inherently stronger than an angle. Not that I believe that a suji would be used in a way that would push the steel far enough to develop stress cracks.
If you're going to incorporate a curved choil, don't do it by taking material away, but by adding it.:my2cents:

Here's where I'm at on this....I'm thinking that I like a rounder vs sharp transition than the original design offers but I'm not sold on going with #2 just yet. I'm thinking that there's got to be something in between these two designs to best fit most people's wants. I'm all for tweaking on an individual basis though.

Latest posts

Back