Quantcast
Perfect fries? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perfect fries?

For the oven version, I don't bother making "sticks" either. I peel, cut the potato in half, then cut the halves into thirds. I like the look on the plate.

On how I cut and oil as a home cook. I just use generic vegetable oil. Works fine for me. Other oils like you said probably vary flavor. I used to cut with a knife, then started using mandolins, now I use my Breville Sous Chef. I will probably go back to using a knife when I get my custom

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    For the oven version, I don't bother making "sticks" either. I peel, cut the potato in half, then cut the halves into thirds. I like the look on the plate.
    Try adding some carrots cut to the same size, and a couple of onions, cut in half-inch rounds.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    That's an expensive book
    Haha, I found it online. For me there is no point in buying a cookbook that requires equipment I don't own for 95% of the recipes.

Here is how I do mine, if I have the time: http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/04...t-1/#more-4005

I get rave reviews and they are even good cold, and that's amazing.

Read Parts I and II. I don't do the pectin or anything like that. I do think the salt water blanch is critical. I dry in a combi oven on air only then move to the freezer for more drying. The oil blanch is also critical. Using this method makes awesome poutine!

-AJ

You said the "P" word! When I can get my hands on some good fresh curds! Sweet Lord! Dig a hole and burry me now! I'll go happy!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks for the link AJ. I have to bookmark that blog.

The oven routine is so easy, but I guess I will have to give this a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Haha, I found it online. For me there is no point in buying a cookbook that requires equipment I don't own for 95% of the recipes.
    Good to hear. My buddy synthesized tear gas in third quarter organic chemistry. I synthesized cocaine in third quarter organic chemistry got an A. I still think that cook book is too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    You said the "P" word! When I can get my hands on some good fresh curds! Sweet Lord! Dig a hole and burry me now! I'll go happy!
    Imagine how I feel living in Georgia. I'm nuts about the stuff. Anytime I'm in Quebec I eat it almost every day, any version I can get. Even harder for me is that when I lived in Wisconsin I could get fresh curds just about anywhere, even a gas station. Now it's at least a 2.5 hour drive to get some kind of fresh curds so even making poutine at home is kind of not reasonable.

Sometimes I dream of opening a little diner in GA and call it K-Becks. I have to believe that poutine would be my biggest seller here. I'd just have to come up with something else to call it.

-AJ

I have an uncle in Quebec, that had 3 restaurants, and two larger mobile kitchen/trailers. All he did was poutine, burgers and pogos. There is a market, make it better than anyone else, or something no one else makes, and smile!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com