Quantcast
240mm vs 270mm wa gyuto?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 240mm vs 270mm wa gyuto?

240mm vs 270mm wa gyuto?

I know this has been debated before any regrets or advice?
    Debating 240mm vs 270mm for a custom *wa handled gyuto*with a*funayuki profile.
    Not intimidated by knife size did a lot of filet work on big tuna and sharks with forshners. Also, have a boardsmith magnum maple on the way so I will have space. Not interested in filling a nitch in my knife collection. Just want a knife i am really happy with.Just don't know which size I would enjoy and get the most use out of. Seems 240mm is very popular and nimble. One site said 240mm for girls/small people and 270mm for men/tall people. But I think that was a somewhat ridiculous statement. Also, heard pro chefs prefer 270mm. I am 6ft 3in tall currently leaning towards the 270mm.
    *I would rather hear from you guys and gals. Any opinions?

It really comes down to personal preference. I could give you my preference, even the reasons for it, but it wouldn't apply to you very well.

Why not buy two inexpensive wa-guytos - one 240, one 270 - and see which one you prefer. Then sell them and buy your custom in the size you find suitable. Much better than going on what other people say and finding that your new custom is too long or too short.

Rick

(Edit) Heck, if you pay shipping, I'll lend you a 240 and a 270 for a few weeks so you can try them out.

My first "Japanese" knife was a 270mm Carter HG funayuki. The first thing that struck me upon taking it out of its box was how light and nimble it seemed despite its length (significantly longer than what I was used to). I got used to it very quickly and use it all the time, even for small tasks. I can see 270mm being intimidating for some users (my girlfriend refers to it as my "kitchen sword"), but I doubt this would apply to you. I'm sure 240mm is more than sufficient for most home cooks, even though 270mm feels good to me and is fun to have. I didn't stress about the decision too much (270mm vs. 240mm) because I knew I would eventually own one of each, and the sooner you accept that this will be true for you too, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    It really comes down to personal preference. I could give you my preference, even the reasons for it, but it wouldn't apply to you very well.

Why not buy two inexpensive wa-guytos - one 240, one 270 - and see which one you prefer. Then sell them and buy your custom in the size you find suitable. Much better than going on what other people say and finding that your new custom is too long or too short.

(Edit) Heck, if you pay shipping, I'll lend you a 240 and a 270 for a few weeks so you can try them out.

Rick,
    Sounds like good advice. Thanks for the generous offer. I could PayPal you shipping if you send an invoice. Definitely, I don't need 2-3 weeks. 2-3 days then back to you.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Rick,
    Sounds like good advice. Thanks for the generous offer. I could PayPal you shipping if you send an invoice. Definitely, I don't need 2-3 weeks. 2-3 days then back to you.
    Richard
    Sending you a PM on this.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    I know this has been debated before any regrets or advice?
    Debating 240mm vs 270mm for a custom *wa handled gyuto*with a*funayuki profile.
    Not intimidated by knife size did a lot of filet work on big tuna and sharks with forshners. Also, have a boardsmith magnum maple on the way so I will have space. Not interested in filling a nitch in my knife collection. Just want a knife i am really happy with.Just don't know which size I would enjoy and get the most use out of. Seems 240mm is very popular and nimble. One site said 240mm for girls/small people and 270mm for men/tall people. But I think that was a somewhat ridiculous statement. Also, heard pro chefs prefer 270mm. I am 6ft 3in tall currently leaning towards the 270mm.
    *I would rather hear from you guys and gals. Any opinions?
    I'm 6'6 and 240mm works for me. If you are in a pro environment the 270mm can let you prep things a little bit faster, but there's a reason why 240 is by far the most talked about size here.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Sending you a PM on this.
    Rick never received pm. I greatly appreciate your offer. I always appreciate and am grateful to all the great people on this site.
    Edit: just got pm thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I'm 6'6 and 240mm works for me. If you are in a pro environment the 270mm can let you prep things a little bit faster, but there's a reason why 240 is by far the most talked about size here.
    Thanks that was my first choice on a gut level. Seems it would be more nimble. Would you ideally leave it at 240 or go up or down some on a custom when you have a choice.
    i.e. 10mm

Btw sorry to everyone for over thinking this!

It really has more to do with the size of the stuff you are cutting than the size of the person, unless you're pretty short. I find short people have to do wierd things ergonomically to get long knives to work sometimes esp if the counters are tall for them. When do you need/want a long knife? Huge chunks of meat, large melons or squash, shredding large amounts of leafy greens, etc. Unless you do a LOT of this kind of stuff, it is really not particularly useful to get anything longer than a 240. If you stick to precut meats, small onions and potatoes, etc, you don't even need anything over a 180 mm.

My Fowler has a profile similar to a funi, and is ~255 mm. It is a nice size (my 'regular' profiles are 240s)

+ Reply to Thread