Chemical composition of sharpening stones...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was long wondering if certain types of stone makes a difference on the sharpening. Or maybe a certain type of store is more desirable?

Staying away from synthetic stones, which are mostly abrasive + 'glue' so to say, I was mostly curious of this:

1. What types of stones are JNat's? I know there are different hardness but other factors come in play? Are there any JNAT's that are slate?
2 For example. I know there are some very fine slate stones out there, Many are in 8000-15000 range and are quite pure. Are they suited for knives or just for razors?

Does anyone own any low grit JNAT's? say anything below 6000. What are thoughts of them compare to synthetic performance wise or else? I seen a very nice JNAT just sell on ebay for pretty good price. It was a gorgeous stone and seller said it was in a 1000 range. So, it made me wonder...

Staying away from synthetic stones, which are mostly abrasive + 'glue' so to say, I was mostly curious of this:

If you say so.

I'd love to help, but only know about 'glued' stones. :whistling:

(Who hasn't found a 'glued' stone I can actually say I like, but plenty of baked, fired, sintered and natural stones which are quite nice.)

Stu.

If you say so.

I'd love to help, but only know about 'glued' stones. :whistling:

(Who hasn't found a 'glued' stone I can actually say I like, but plenty of baked, fired, sintered and natural stones which are quite nice.)

Stu.
I didn't mean it like that :). Only in a way that it's known what they are... ie: abrasive + holder...

Back