Quantcast
Why I do what I do. - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I do what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    On the edge of my seat waiting for some wips. Thanks Son.
    I am thinking the same thing.
    It is fun to watch old treasures being brought back to life.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Great posts Son! I love the old stuff.I hope you get to do what you want to do...... I feel Why you do what you do is nobody's BIZZNESS but your own.Keep the cool stuff coming.

I think it's something great for him to share it. I really appreciate what he shares, it paints a picture of him which i am very fond of. And you see how much he's experienced. It's really interesting.

I would love a Son-biography. Or just a collection of noteworthy stories.

I would love to restore any of them. It's one of my favorite things to do.

I don't believe in retiring objects--retirement isn't for doing nothing, it's for doing something else with your life. I am not a sentimental person, but it's crazy to me to let a knife with great qualities that hasn't been worn down to a nub sit around.

Quote Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post
    I think it's something great for him to share it. I really appreciate what he shares, it paints a picture of him which i am very fond of. And you see how much he's experienced. It's really interesting.

I would love a Son-biography. Or just a collection of noteworthy stories.
    You read my post all wrong! If he wants to rehab an old knife he should be supported not judged.I think this place(and the rest of the world) need more people with a full personality's like Son.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    You read my post all wrong! If he wants to rehab an old knife he should be supported not judged.I think this place(and the rest of the world) need more people with a full personality's like Son.
    Oh, good. I got it completely wrong!

Yes, Son seems like a wonderfull person with a great history to tell. I would love to hear it.

Thanks, guys. I actually live a fairly boring life these days, but when I was younger I crammed as much life as I could into it. I wish I still could, but sometimes life gets in the way.My family never really knew and still don't know much about the life I have led or the things I have done once I left home. My father would understand as we are in alot of ways the same person. My mother would never understand, because she never got her adventures. I forgot, so many things after the stroke, but the things I do remember are incredibly vivid and fresh in my mind. I'm missing the better part of ten years or so, apparently the not so good Son years.lol Sometimes I think I would love to have them back and most times I know better. I have days when things come into focus from those days and I cringe at who and what I was. I have a lot of atonement I need to take care of and that is as far as I can go on that particular subject.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Thanks, guys. I actually live a fairly boring life these days, but when I was younger I crammed as much life as I could into it. I wish I still could, but sometimes life gets in the way.My family never really knew and still don't know much about the life I have led or the things I have done once I left home. My father would understand as we are in alot of ways the same person. My mother would never understand, because she never got her adventures. I forgot, so many things after the stroke, but the things I do remember are incredibly vivid and fresh in my mind. I'm missing the better part of ten years or so, apparently the not so good Son years.lol Sometimes I think I would love to have them back and most times I know better. I have days when things come into focus from those days and I cringe at who and what I was. I have a lot of atonement I need to take care of and that is as far as I can go on that particular subject.

Is there any stories you could tell? Either here or in a PM, i'm actually really interested in what's happened to you. You're intriguing.
    The more the merrier i might add!

As it appears that you have no interest in selling these prized knives to the "collector" market, I don't see any problem at all with restoring them to a usable condition. That is one thing that I like about you kitchen knife knuts. You will buy a very nice knife and actually USE it in the kitchen. Egads!!!!!

well, here is another one. Same deal as above. This one is one of the very first vintage chef knives I ever got. I was wandering around Phoenix looking for work. I had a job interview at a small French brasserie and I had some time to kill before it started. In the same shopping center was a giant antiques mall, so I figured what the heck, I would see what I could find. At that time I was into collecting antique native American artworks and crafts. I also was looking for an antique cast iron dutch oven. I wandered around for about an hour when I found a booth filled with cast iron skillets and dutch ovens, as I was looking at one particular rusty specimen with a
    $15 price tag with the lid and the rack by the way, 10 qts. to boot and old French man came in he was about 75-80 years old and he was caring a box full of cast iron skillets. I jumped over to help him carry it and he pushed me away and said he had been moving this stuff for over sixty years and was quite capable of moving it now. I gave him my apologies and started to leave. He noticed that I had been looking at the rusty dutch oven and wanted to know if I was going to buy it. I said it depends on if my job interview goes well or not. He asked me what I did and I told him I was trying to be a chef, what kinda knives do you have? I told him and he shook his head and mumbled some derogatory things about crap and quality. I told him I had to go or I was going to be late to the interview and he said hold on a minute and reached into the box he was carrying and handed me a beat up scary looking knife and said "you should always have a good knife in your kit", I told him thank you for the suggestion, but I couldn't afford to buy any knives right now. He said take it and when you get the job, you can pay me for it. I said thank you and took off to the interview.
    I got there on time and was told the chef was on his way and would be there in ten minutes. As I waited , I forgot about the knife the old man gave me, until he walked into the restaurant. I told him that I would pay him when I could, but if he had a change of heart I would gladly return it. He said don't worry.He was only there for lunch and walked away. A few minutes later the hostess says the chef will see you now. I walk back to the kitchen and there is the old man in chef whites, He was the chef and owner, and when I looked at him in confusion and a little bit of fear, he smiled and said "you should always have a good knife in your kit." I didn't get the job I wanted, but I worked with him for about 6 months and we became good friends, I learned a lot about life and tradition from him. Everyday for breakfast we had a glass of wine and a few pieces of cheese and some slices of apple. He would sweep the front of the restaurant himself, because he felt that his customers should know the owner cared. I met his family and they were as gracious as he was.
    One day, I was running a little late and when I got to work, the doors were unlocked, but nobody was there. I locked up and went to the antique mall to see if he was there. They hadn't seen him. I went back to the restaurant and the manager Sophie was there, crying. Chef had died sitting at the table with 2 glasses of wine some cheese and sliced apples. I miss chef, but I try to carry on a lot of the things I learned from him. Sophie and I still keep in touch, she is the one who sends me the vintage Sabatiers. I talked to her about what I wanted to do and she agrees that Chef would do exactly the same thing. I have no regrets with this decision and I would be quite happy if whoever got this knife would bring it to life and either use it or give it to someone they think can accept it in the tradition of my Chef and friend. Put a new handle on it, polish the blade, thin behind the edge and make it sing again.

1920's nogent chef knife, This knife was probably originally 8 inches x 2 inches,It is now 5.5 inches x 1.75 inches, Chef said he had it for 50 years and that it was this size when he got it from his chef. It was snapped off in a kitchen brawl apparently, no details given. It has what appears to be a nickel silver collar and solid no cracks ebony handle. It's handle has and up sweep from years of use and a scalpel like blade. This knife I used for years as a boning knife, I would hold it like a dagger point down and bone using a sweeping motion. I have used knives from all over the world, different shapes and sizes. I have used knives ten times sharper and this knife still scares me.
    Have fun and remember " you should always have a good knife in your kit."
    Attached Images Attached Images              
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

great story great knife.
    A clever cook can make good meat of a whetstone.” Erasmus