Prototype Wall Mount Knife Rack

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I had this design in mind for a long time (adaptation of free-standing rack), but only got to do it now, and only because I am trying to organize my shop, and because I have a good number of knives around and no good storage solution, this was just the right incentive.

This is a prototype rack, made to get familiar with a process and to decide what changes to make for subsequent ones, so I wasn't paying much attention to quality of material or level of finish. I will make a couple more of these in poplar and then attempt one in walnut. The one in walnut will be along the line of a production item.

The construction is mortise and tenon - no nails or screws used. Rack is fastened to the wall with two or four screws (will probably be two).

It's A-shape, though one can't tell it from the pictures. Next one I will make the angle a little more pronounced.

I plan to offer this design rack as a part of a few products that will be offered alongside knives in the near future.

M

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

Nice job Marko. I have been trying to solve my storage problem since Dave is no longer making knife blocks and I didn't get one:bashhead:. I had seen something similar in a free-standing version (maybe the same that you saw). I will have to see if I have room for it on a wall and will watch the development with interest.

Well for starters I'll say it's nothing I cold ever use ar home, just like a mag bar. Cats+exposed knives= bad bad bad. I did at one point want to show off all my vintage Beatty cleavers. I don't think I have the pic handy any more but I'll look, you ay have seen it in past very old posts of mine? I had my bachelor pad wall blood spatter panted (note:years before Dexter) with all the cleavers hanging...boy the good old days. Any way there is a resin for my tangent. When hanging them I took careful consideration into the way the blades would hang in order to limit the chances of real blood hitting the wall. I hung them so the edge would angle in and on cleavers tis are not a big concern but I still tucked them in when I could...will I had he photo but not that important, let me just give you my ideas on a display with safety in mind.

I like how the design tilts the edges back, I think this is an improvement to a "mag rack"

I'm not crazy about the looks if the pegs. I find them to "simple" and not "Marko like", your designs tend to be of refinement with a sculptural look to them. Maybe use wider but much shorter and correspondingly geting longer peg and notch them notch to hold the blade. Very hard to say in words and I don't have one f the fancy drawing programs a lot of guys here use (what program is that anyway? iPad version out there?) but I'll draw it on paper and post a photo.

Next I wouldn't have the tips sticking out in mid air, havent thought what to do about that yet, but i will.
I would kind if have a "top" on the top of the rack as to not leave the top knifes edge exposed also keep dust off the wall queens.

Hi Collin,

good points, can't wait for you to post your drawing.

I guess this is a pretty utilitarian design for the shop or a house without countertop walking pets and clumsy spouses. :) The pegs are just long enough to hold the blade should it flip backwards - D handles give knives that tendency. One can compensate by angling the rack more (stand alone racks have angle close to 45 degrees, but that high an angle would not look very good on a wall mount rack).

I have thought of some wall mounted knife blocks - I have always had small kitchens, so my brain is wired for utilizing wall space, so I might to revisit that idea. It will address the points of concern that you raise - exposed tips, simple look, dust, pets, etc.

M

A magnet below a thin venier strip, would insure the knives sit in place, and would allow the pegs to be shorter, just a thought... Or perhaps another thin strip, like a 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick running vertically over the tip side, attached to the tops of short pegs say 1/4-3/8" long ( or whatever length) that the blades can slide behing with a saya or without...

Hi Marko. Nice idea and model, but I'm with Collin on this one. I'm a fan of your work too, and I'm sure a production model will be gorgeous. I think this is a good way to show off the profile of the knife, especially w/ a saya, but I find it a bit unsafe. The mag strip is a good idea to secure the knife.

I have another idea for you to consider - based on a ski rack where there are two pegs stuck into a board, wide enough to put a pair of skis in between and the curve of the tips flares out above the pegs and holds them up.

Vertical slits are cut into a peice of wood and the knife is inserted into the slit, handle up, tip down, edge facing the wall. The opening of the slit is flared out (possibly). The slit could also be lined with foam to hold the knife snuggly.

I have made a simple drawing saved in PDF format for you to look at, but I cannot attach it here. I can e-mail it to you if you PM me your address. Cheers! mpp

I like the ones behind the German guy after Morimoto stops talking. BTW, looks like a ks up there on the top!

s.

You know what Marko, you can fit some of these knives in that rack ;)

Steve - Rough Ground
Leonard - Rough Ground
Rene - Rough Ground
Walter - Rough Ground
Julian (in the picture)
Karing Heat Treated
Oivind x 4 On Hold
Collin (Profiled, Heat Treating on Monday)

k.

Some are already on it. :)

Going to get some out this week, starting tomorrow. Been working on handles the last couple of days. Things will move a bit faster from this point on, that it to say, your knife will be ground as soon as we finalize profile. PDF coming your way.

M

Latest posts

Back