Quantcast
Vitamix advice - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vitamix advice

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    So seems like the dial is very useful! Can you explain a bit more about why though? Just some example of when it is useful? In the past if I want to blend something I usually just always do it on highspeed.
    It seems that the likelihood that you'll get a "bubble" around your blades depends on the amount, viscosity and the speed of the blades. It's nice to be able to tune the speed so that you don't end up just spinning your blades when you want to make a huge batch of something with a sorbet type of consistency. I don't know about the loud issue. Both of 'em will wake the dead, if you're not careful. They even seem loud in the Costco warehouse which is enormous.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

36 seconds in, go with the variable speed control.

Thanks. What do they sell at the costco locations in the states? Here in Canada they sell the 5200 I believe.

I got the 5200 for xmas, which is the same as the professional series. Apparently vendors that sell more than 10,000 units get to 'customize' their vitamix names. I have never tried the blend-tec, but I LOVE the variable speed on my vitamix and I would not choose anything without variable speed now.

With that said, I hear the blend-tec is easer to get stuff out of and the container is better designed. I think I read that on chowhound or something. And last week I was scraping out some pea puree from the bottom of my vitamix and it wasn't that easy -- so I did think about that issue. From what I understand the blend-tec has a wider base and only two prongs on the blade, which makes dispatching thick stuff easier.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

That's perfect, AndrewH. You rock, dude.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    That's perfect, AndrewH. You rock, dude.
    I wish I could say I saw that episode this morning, but I just know Good Eats way too well.

I got the CIA Professional series from Bed, Bath and Beyond - I used a 20% off coupon. I called Vitamix to ask about the differences in the 5000 series vs. the CIA and was told that they are the same. The only difference is the cookbook and DVD that is included.

Quote Originally Posted by rsacco View Post
    I got the CIA Professional series from Bed, Bath and Beyond - I used a 20% off coupon. I called Vitamix to ask about the differences in the 5000 series vs. the CIA and was told that they are the same. The only difference is the cookbook and DVD that is included.
    And the colors...but who cares about that

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Not even my thread, but this has been on my mind a long time. Lots of great advice. This really helped me. Thanks to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Not even my thread, but this has been on my mind a long time. Lots of great advice. This really helped me. Thanks to everyone.
    +1

I have been waiting for a blender debate to take place here.

So...consensus seems to be variable speed Vitamix from Costco or Bed Bath & Beyond?