Quantcast
Vitamix advice - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Vitamix advice

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    They seem to cost about $1500
    Good thing nobody needs a blender that cooks.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    They seem to cost about $1500
    wow, that's expensive, here I believe it is around 600 euros. Used a lot in pro kitchen (Adrià and such). There's a ton of YouTube videos if anyone is interested.

digging up old bones...

Blendtec just came out with a new model - Designer Series - actually it's just a refined version of their old model. Now I wish I needed a new blender...

(marketing hoo-ha)

This seals the deal for me - it addresses the main complaints I have about the buttons & speed control being a little clunky, the thing being too damn noisy, and kinda butt ugly. Overall I think it's a better designed blender than the Vitamix, but the end result is both do a superb job of blending.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

I've had the Blendtec for at least five years now. It's hands down better than Vitamix. The Vitamix does have that cool knob but its just a powerful standard blender while the Blendtec's design is advanced. I don't need plunger because the BT jar sucks food into the impeller, its easier to clean and a lot more friendly on the counter as its foot print is smaller.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/1334...blender-topic/

That being said, for what you pay the Vita-Mix is basically a piece of junk. It took me about six months to destroy one. When I first got it, I told a chef friend and he said "They're great but we break about two a year at the restaurant." The main problem, as far as I can tell, is that there's too much plastic, rubber and other inferior materials used in the construction of the Vita-Mix. In particular, the coupling between the motor base and the pitcher, which drives the blade, is weak. It doesn't seem weak if you just use a new Vita-Mix a few times -- at that point it feels incredibly sturdy. But if you really wail on the thing for a few months that coupling breaks down.

retraction

There's a new player in this bracket - Omega BL630

This guy - John Kohler of discountjuicers.com - sells all of these blenders and has done tons of (long, in depth) product reviews with an unbiased opinion. He likes the Vitamax Turboblend VS better than either the Blendtec or Omega, but just by a hair.

I think the Blendtec could be improved with a higher RPM (it's got 28,000 vs the Vitamix @ 37,000) and sharper blades - 'cuz we know sharper is better!

I really, really like the manual, analogue controls on the vitamix. I'm sure that the blendtech is a mechanically sound machine, but I think that they are going in the wrong direction with the gimicky touch screen band wagon. No way is a touch screen faster, more intuitive or more accurate to use in a busy kitchen environment than a big fat dial and toggle switch.

Agreed about the analogue gauge on the VM. And about the comment of going touch screen but I think they are shooting more for a consumer audience.

I'm on the fence about the BT controls. I like the switch and dial combo on the VM. for a pro environment I do think this is better.

At first I thought the pre-programmed buttons on the BT were gimmicky, but the cycles really do work, and work well. Just stuff your stuff in the jar, press the button and let it do it's thing. Manual operation is quite easy - there's a pulse button that I use for most everything - basically blasts it full-steam w/ slight almost non-detectable pauses. And there's up and down buttons to control the speed if you want to start slow for something like an emulsion.

I'd like to see how the touch-screen works on the new BT model. The one I have has buttons, and you have to be positive when pressing them, but the work and respond qucikly.

Another plus for BT buttons is clean-up is easy and no switches or dials to get liquid into.

Blentec has a commercial ine that is obvisouly more approriate for pro work than the new Designer job. The jars look the same, just the housing is bigger because why? Another cool feature of these commercial units is they can be mounted under counter so just the control pad and jar base are on the counter - some day I'm gonna have that in my own kithcen!

For me, there just aren't that many things I blend where I hit the switch and walk away. For soups, sauces, emulsions etc. I always start low and work the dial up. Then I leave it. The precise control is what I like about the VM.

Does anyone have any experience with the refurbished units that Vitamix sells? Looks like its a 5200 with 5 year comprehensive warranty for $320. I'm itching to pull the trigger but if someone has a good reason to buy new I'm all ears.

https://secure.vitamix.com/Reconditi...Ounce-5yr.aspx