Vitamix advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
Looking to get a blender...everyone says these are the way to go.

1. $379 for this TurboBlend 2 speed
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/product_view.asp?id=21133

2. $499 for CIA Professional
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/vitamix/cia-professional-blender-p115684

3. $599 stainless steel professional
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/vitamix/stainless-steel-professional-500-blender-p120487

Is it worth the jump in price for this next model? Will be using in professional kitchen mainly to puree soups and sauces

I have the first one because i bought it off a friend for 100 bucks. It does everything you want, if what you want is blended drinks.

At work i have the second one and i love the adjustable speed. If ours broke and the owner wanted to downgrade a replacement, I'd give him the difference in cash myself.

Was thinking blenders myself long debate for me vitamin vs blendtec. Good luck.

I've tried Costco versions of both the Vitamix and the Blendtec for a few weeks each. We currently own a Vitamix. The Blendtec was nice but we felt the Vitamix was better and it really wasn't a hard decision at all.

I went with a blend-tec a few years ago,a nd I love it. Especially the wide jar with the longer blade span. I have both jars and use them regularly.

Tough call between blend-tec and vita-mix - there are pros and cons to both. Blend-tec has their machines in lots of commercial retail operations like Starbucks for blended drinks, and they work fantastically. The pre-programaed features are nice, but a bit gimmicky. I prefer the dial on the vita-mix. The pulse button on the blend-tec is a bit finicky. If I could combine the power and jar of the blend-tec w/ the dial on the vita-mix that would be ideal for me.

I would definitely get a model that has a dial for variable speed control. Not of the difference between the top two models, but they appear the same in power and volume, which are the most important things.

I've tried Costco versions of both the Vitamix and the Blendtec for a few weeks each. We currently own a Vitamix. The Blendtec was nice but we felt the Vitamix was better and it really wasn't a hard decision at all.
Good to hear. Guess I will go vitamix. Thanks for the advice.

Good to hear. Guess I will go vitamix. Thanks for the advice.
We got the Vitamix at Costco. Like a month later, they had the Blendtec there so I bought that one, too. A couple of weeks later, I come home from work and my wife has this desperate look on her face. I asked her what the problem was. She said she returned the Vitamix and she wants it back. I told her I was sure they still had it right there and she probably re-exchange them. Less than an hour later, all was well and only the Vitamix remained. I kid you not. The dial and the plunger sealed the deal.

So seems like the dial is very useful! Can you explain a bit more about why though? Just some example of when it is useful? In the past if I want to blend something I usually just always do it on highspeed.

A couple of months after I got my blend-tec f/ costco the vitamix rep came through. I wish I had a chance to see the vitamix before I got the blend-tec. Not sure I would have made a different decision but I do think the vitamix is a nicer/better made machine. One thing I don't like about the blend-tec is it is EXTREMELY loud - everytime I use it the GF whines and says she wants to get a muffler for it. That alone is reason enough to get a vitamix. I'm on the fence about the plunger in the vitamix - that's one great thing about the deisgn of the blend-tec is it doesn't need one - OK occasionally if I make pesto or chimichuri I have to use a wooden spoon to push things down.

Vitamix was just here a few weeks ago; when they come back in a few months I'll have to take a closer look at them... You won't be disapointed with it.

So seems like the dial is very useful! Can you explain a bit more about why though? Just some example of when it is useful? In the past if I want to blend something I usually just always do it on highspeed.
It seems that the likelihood that you'll get a "bubble" around your blades depends on the amount, viscosity and the speed of the blades. It's nice to be able to tune the speed so that you don't end up just spinning your blades when you want to make a huge batch of something with a sorbet type of consistency. I don't know about the loud issue. Both of 'em will wake the dead, if you're not careful. They even seem loud in the Costco warehouse which is enormous.

[video=youtube;re5Wrbl89YA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re5Wrbl89YA&t=0m36s[/video]

36 seconds in, go with the variable speed control.

Thanks. What do they sell at the costco locations in the states? Here in Canada they sell the 5200 I believe.

I got the 5200 for xmas, which is the same as the professional series. Apparently vendors that sell more than 10,000 units get to 'customize' their vitamix names. I have never tried the blend-tec, but I LOVE the variable speed on my vitamix and I would not choose anything without variable speed now.

With that said, I hear the blend-tec is easer to get stuff out of and the container is better designed. I think I read that on chowhound or something. And last week I was scraping out some pea puree from the bottom of my vitamix and it wasn't that easy -- so I did think about that issue. From what I understand the blend-tec has a wider base and only two prongs on the blade, which makes dispatching thick stuff easier.

k.

That's perfect, AndrewH. You rock, dude. :thumbsup:

That's perfect, AndrewH. You rock, dude. :thumbsup:

I wish I could say I saw that episode this morning, but I just know Good Eats way too well. :O

I got the CIA Professional series from Bed, Bath and Beyond - I used a 20% off coupon. I called Vitamix to ask about the differences in the 5000 series vs. the CIA and was told that they are the same. The only difference is the cookbook and DVD that is included.

I got the CIA Professional series from Bed, Bath and Beyond - I used a 20% off coupon. I called Vitamix to ask about the differences in the 5000 series vs. the CIA and was told that they are the same. The only difference is the cookbook and DVD that is included.
And the colors...but who cares about that ;)

k.

Not even my thread, but this has been on my mind a long time. Lots of great advice. This really helped me. Thanks to everyone.

Not even my thread, but this has been on my mind a long time. Lots of great advice. This really helped me. Thanks to everyone.

+1

I have been waiting for a blender debate to take place here.

So...consensus seems to be variable speed Vitamix from Costco or Bed Bath & Beyond?

Debate? What debate? Get a vitamix variable speed every time.

Imho, you definately need the variable speed as stated by others. The high speed will foam up a puree with way too much air.

Debate? What debate? Get a vitamix variable speed every time.

+10000000.

I was going to say this exact same thing if you didn't.

If you want Shun equivalent to the Vitamix, get any other brand. If you want a real blender, get the Vitamix.

And the fact that the Blendtec doesn't come with a plunger is completely mind boggling to me and a total deal breaker.

I use the plunger every single time I am blending something. Yeah, sometimes you can blend stuff without it, and even to this day I will go without when I think I don't need it. But I am always wrong. It comes out better, faster and more consistent with the plunger. I use it for everything, from cracking whole peppercorns to making purees.

Thanks guys you've made up my mind on the variable control. What about containers? $500 for one large container, or $650 at costco.com for 2 large containers, one small dry container, plus some knife and cutting board set (lol).

How much extra crap do you need in your kitchen? How often would you be blending multiple items during the same prep time? I think I would save the $150.

Back