Quantcast
Sharpenign/Stropping Setup with DMT Plates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpenign/Stropping Setup with DMT Plates

Sharpenign/Stropping Setup with DMT Plates

As of recently, I incorporated diamond plates into my sharpening lineup. A while back Dr. Naka told me that a professional sharpener in Sakai told him that his preferred method of sharpening knives for longest lasting edge was on a diamond plate followed by a finishing stone.

I have been thinking recently how to get 52100 sharper and decided to give this method a try.

I used DMT Extra Fine (1200 mesh equivalent) and followed by a J-nat finishing stone in 8-10K range and finished the blade on 2 micron spray felt. I really liked the edge I got and I am using this knife at home now.

Upon Devin's suggestion, I got 11x2.5" DMT diamond plates. The extra length is really nice, as it allows me to sharpen in long strokes.

For that size, no base was available, so I made a wooden base for it from walnut. Checking the plate for flatness, I was pleasantly surprised that the back side was flat enough to use as a stropping base.

After a little tweaking and embellishing the base, I got myself a prototype sharpening/stropping setup.

The setup (bases, plates, strops) will be available for sale in a near future.

M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0360.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	4727

Name:	DSC_0356.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	4728

Name:	DSC_0358.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4729

Name:	DSC_0354.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	4730

Name:	DSC_0355.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	4731

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Very nice! That looks really good.

Thanks

M

Nice setup, Marko.

Rick

Yup. Not bad at all!

This is quite slick, nicely done.

Very cool!

So this is intended to only require a finishing stone?

I love the base.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Very cool!

So this is intended to only require a finishing stone?
    Pretty much.

I am going to ask a couple of guys to test the method and observe the edge in a pro kitchen, but it seems to work really well and the edge is holding really well. So there will be more on it once we compare our finds.

I sharpened to a razor edge in about 4 minutes total (most of time spend polishing it on a Jnat).

The cutting speed of a diamond is a step up sharpening 52100 over water stones (my setup is bestone, bester 1200, Rika 5K). I will still use those but mostly to tune up the edge while I am finishing the knife.

Also, love the 11.5" of sharpening surface.

M

To clarify one thing, the felt or leather strop is lined with a magnetic backing and the back side of a diamond plate doubles as a strop base. When I am done sharpening, I rinse the plate, pad it dry with a paper towel, place it back side up, place a felt or leather strop over it and I got a stop. Remove the strop, flip the plate on a opposite side and I have a sharpening plate.

A strop

Name:	DSC_0358.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4733

A sharpening plate

Name:	DSC_0356.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	4734

M