Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpenign/Stropping Setup with DMT Plates

Sharpenign/Stropping Setup with DMT Plates

As of recently, I incorporated diamond plates into my sharpening lineup. A while back Dr. Naka told me that a professional sharpener in Sakai told him that his preferred method of sharpening knives for longest lasting edge was on a diamond plate followed by a finishing stone.

I have been thinking recently how to get 52100 sharper and decided to give this method a try.

I used DMT Extra Fine (1200 mesh equivalent) and followed by a J-nat finishing stone in 8-10K range and finished the blade on 2 micron spray felt. I really liked the edge I got and I am using this knife at home now.

Upon Devin's suggestion, I got 11x2.5" DMT diamond plates. The extra length is really nice, as it allows me to sharpen in long strokes.

For that size, no base was available, so I made a wooden base for it from walnut. Checking the plate for flatness, I was pleasantly surprised that the back side was flat enough to use as a stropping base.

After a little tweaking and embellishing the base, I got myself a prototype sharpening/stropping setup.

The setup (bases, plates, strops) will be available for sale in a near future.

M

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0360.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	4727

Name:	DSC_0356.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	4728

Name:	DSC_0358.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4729

Name:	DSC_0354.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	4730

Name:	DSC_0355.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	4731

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Very nice! That looks really good.

Thanks

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Nice setup, Marko.

Rick

Yup. Not bad at all!

This is quite slick, nicely done.

Very cool!

So this is intended to only require a finishing stone?

I love the base.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Very cool!

So this is intended to only require a finishing stone?
    Pretty much.

I am going to ask a couple of guys to test the method and observe the edge in a pro kitchen, but it seems to work really well and the edge is holding really well. So there will be more on it once we compare our finds.

I sharpened to a razor edge in about 4 minutes total (most of time spend polishing it on a Jnat).

The cutting speed of a diamond is a step up sharpening 52100 over water stones (my setup is bestone, bester 1200, Rika 5K). I will still use those but mostly to tune up the edge while I am finishing the knife.

Also, love the 11.5" of sharpening surface.

M

To clarify one thing, the felt or leather strop is lined with a magnetic backing and the back side of a diamond plate doubles as a strop base. When I am done sharpening, I rinse the plate, pad it dry with a paper towel, place it back side up, place a felt or leather strop over it and I got a stop. Remove the strop, flip the plate on a opposite side and I have a sharpening plate.

A strop

Name:	DSC_0358.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4733

A sharpening plate

Name:	DSC_0356.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	4734

M