Don't see these cullens too often outside of Glestain

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cullens are not close to big enough for a Glestain
How do you figure? Based on the probable curvature and length of the suji and the number of cullens in the space on the picture, I would guess they are pretty close to Glestain size.

I am thinking in terms of depth, not size top to bottom and side to side. They just dont appear from the picture as deep as those on the Glestain I have. Should have been more specific.

I am thinking in terms of depth, not size top to bottom and side to side. They just dont appear from the picture as deep as those on the Glestain I have. Should have been more specific.
I think I agree. The gyuto also just has one row of them.

Ah! Good call. I missed the Daido steel.

I know the stiction issue has been beaten to death, and we as a community, via Salty, have concluded that convexity is key. BUT, how does the Cullen compare, in terms of effectiveness?

They look shallow to me too.

How do you like your Glestain Mingooch?

I bought the Glestain purely for food release. It seems to be the only brand that I have tried that the cullens are deep enough and pronounced enough to actually work. So from that standpoint, I like it. From an edge retention, how sharp it can get etc stand point I like my other knives better. Mind u I am a home cook.

Lefty, the cullens seem to help on this brand. The blade is also convex, maybe the 2 work well together in this case.

Glestains are far and away the best knives I have used with regard to sticking issues. There is no need to convex the front because they are ground that way out of the factory. The back side is slightly concave and it is fairly thin behind the edge. It gets plenty sharp, too. The downsides are: 1. The steel doesn't hold an edge like some of the others although it isn't bad at all (the trade-off is it's very tough), 2. the tip is a little thick probably to give it some strength due to the cullens, 3. they are handle heavy due to the big metal buttcap, 4. if you can't handle a little steering, this knife isn't for you, either.

Back