Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nenox Question

Heard that. I guess what I tried to say is that there must be a big difference between the two. I had a Hattori suji that dimmed in comparison to my nenox. Great knife but just not as good. I picture the g type to be similar to the Hattori so I base my judgement off of that. Could be wrong though.

A couple days ago I saw Michael Symon using an S1 gyuto on Iron Chef America. I have a 270 mm S1 gyuto. It takes a very good edge but I haven't used it enough to know how long the edge will last.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    It takes a very good edge but I haven't used it enough to know how long the edge will last.
    Little less than VG-10, in my experience.

VG-10 isn't bad but for the price of a Nenox?
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    VG-10 isn't bad but for the price of a Nenox?
    My problem exactly... Besides, as I understood from earlier threads on KF, Nenox is Vg-1.

Nenohi / Nenox is the best....at keeping a secret!

The hushed rumors were that the S-type and SD were VG1, but the new-ish rumors,starting about two (?) years ago, is that they switched to VG10. Either way, they supposedly do something special with and to it.

I haven't won the lottery yet, so I don't have one. My summation of maybe 10 years of comments on the forums is that most people who have them know they are expensive, and that less costly knives may even cut better, or take a keener, sharper more robust edge....and wouldn't give them up.

I think the nenox is a statement knife. It has a unique shape, super cool profile, super nice fit and finish, and looks different from most Japanese western handle knives out there. It is for those who may not need to have the sharpest knife, but a different status type knife. It is up to the person's preference. Most people would say that the knife just looks cool. Also most cooks out there are not sharpening their knives and looking at the edge under a 10X loupe. To them, it is just a tool, that gets their job done.

Anyway, I have a nenox and had the hattori FH both in 240mm. Although I cannot definitively say which steel last longer, the VG10 or the mystery steel, I do know that when I sharpen them both together, the Nenox steel felt harder, and definitely different than the hattori VG10. I don't profess to say that it is a scientific sharpening test, but that was how it felt.

....and the description of the FH makes it sound like that VG10 is made different/harder than Hattori HD....and the even more vague rumor that Mr. Hattori makes the S-series blades for Nenox.

I have both the S1 and the Hattori FH and both are 270 mm. I've used the FH a lot more than the S1 and I'm very pleased with the FH. Other than the handles they look pretty similar but you pay a lot for that S1 handle.