When it rains it pours.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
You know its going to be a rough day when your number one cook calls you at 630 in the morning to tell you he is going to be a little late. When you ask him how late he says..."well...I'm in Las Vegas" But I am on my way. Vegas is 6-7 hours from here, he will arrive just in time to miss the holiday lunch.

Your produce truck is broken down somewhere in a 100 mile radius and the company can't contact the driver.

Your closing managers left you with less than 10 one dollar bills, and banks are closed.

To top it all off, in a rush to get to the restaurant you forget your belt and are now sporting the plastic wrap belt, which has a tendancy to chafe.

Sorry for the rant, it should be better from here.

Ouch -- rough start to the day.

Maybe the produce truck driver is motoring back from Vegas with your #1 cook right now.

Maybe thats where all the one's went... (sorry :) )

I do hope your day levels out.

I probably shouldn't say this but I got my carma get backs years ago. Now I just wonder what I did to deserve any new ones. Hope your day got better.

I probably shouldn't say this but I got my carma get backs years ago. Now I just wonder what I did to deserve any new ones. Hope your day got better.

If you're implying kaeleb's current woes are bad karma, you're only perpetuating your own. Get to know a man before coming to a conclusion.

Matt is awesome.

You know its going to be a rough day when your number one cook calls you at 630 in the morning to tell you he is going to be a little late. When you ask him how late he says..."well...I'm in Las Vegas" But I am on my way. Vegas is 6-7 hours from here, he will arrive just in time to miss the holiday lunch.

Your produce truck is broken down somewhere in a 100 mile radius and the company can't contact the driver.

Your closing managers left you with less than 10 one dollar bills, and banks are closed.

To top it all off, in a rush to get to the restaurant you forget your belt and are now sporting the plastic wrap belt, which has a tendancy to chafe.

Sorry for the rant, it should be better from here.
I saw this when you originally posted.
Sounds like the Perfect Storm all at the same time. Really brought back memories. I have done the plastic wrap belt. When I was a cook and when I was a general manager late trucks sucked. More than once had cash drawers not adequate when I started the day. More than once as general manager had a cook call off and I was cook for the day.
Was waiting for the follow up story. Hope it turned out ok.

Lol, yes the day turned out pretty good. We beat our sales forecast by more than 50%, which is beyond crazy. Luckily there was no real rush, all the people kind of trickled in all day long so it was easily handled.:theline:
Truth be told I have very few "bad" days.

When I opened this restaurant three years ago I was fortunate enough to have brought most my employees with me from a previous job. I have all my original staff from three years ago, most of whom I have worked with for more than 6 years.

This would have been the first time in 3 years someone has called out, and most work 6 days a week. I can cut a little slack. lol

I am very fortunate to have a phenominal team who put up with me even when I am travelling. The best thing about them is when I have to leave on short notice, they don't miss a beat and everyone knows when to zig and when to zag, even without the presence of a "boss".

Lol, yes the day turned out pretty good. We beat our sales forecast by more than 50%, which is beyond crazy. Luckily there was no real rush, all the people kind of trickled in all day long so it was easily handled.:theline:
Truth be told I have very few "bad" days.

When I opened this restaurant three years ago I was fortunate enough to have brought most my employees with me from a previous job. I have all my original staff from three years ago, most of whom I have worked with for more than 6 years.

This would have been the first time in 3 years someone has called out, and most work 6 days a week. I can cut a little slack. lol

I am very fortunate to have a phenominal team who put up with me even when I am travelling. The best thing about them is when I have to leave on short notice, they don't miss a beat and everyone knows when to zig and when to zag, even without the presence of a "boss".

Glad to hear the follow up. Really helps to have a team you like that knows and does what they need without "babysitting" just have a good work ethic. Glad it all turned out well.

Glad to hear the follow up. Really helps to have a team you like that knows and does what they need without "babysitting" just have a good work ethic. Glad it all turned out well.
+1

Any time I hear a story like this one, my first thought goes to Karma. I ment nothing bad about what was said. I even talked about mine. I have had many days like that one. Sorry if I stepped on toes I was meaning generally speaking.

It sounds like you are a good boss, and that having a crew follow you is a very good sign of this.

Latest posts

Back