Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wines from TJ's

Wines from TJ's

In preparation for a Napa trip where we'll be doing a TON of tastings, the wife and I decided we need to start "training" (i.e. drink a tone more wine than we do). And wouldn't you know it, this weekend we opened up a bottle from Trader Joe's that was pretty tasty the first night, but after pumping it and coming back to it two days later, was simply awesome! So the wife and I will be doing a whirlwind tour of TJ's and I'll post up the ones that seem to us like good bargains. Also ones that should be avoided at all cost! And we're limiting ourselves to less than $10 and only bottles that we've never seen anywhere else. No Bogles, StoneHedge's etc.

Anybody want to kick this off with some recommendations for wines to try out?

-Ben

I tried a pretty nice zin the other day from TJ's... Leonhart? It's like $11, though. I wouldn't age it but it isn't as over the top as a lot of zins and has a nice complexity and mouthfeel. I thought it was the best I've had in that price range in the last couple of years. I really enjoyed it.

I'll keep a look out for it, but I should probably note that our local TJ's has a VERY small wine section. We may not have a lot of what a larger CA TJ's will.

My fiancee and I enjoy a Spanish wine from TJs called Slow Paseo as well as the Joseph Händler Riesling. They've kind of become our default "cheap but tasty" options for red and white, respectively. Also good is one from the Priorat region called Reves, which should squeak in under the $10 limit. Definitely to avoid was La Granja, which had an amusing flying pig on the label, but was way too acidic and sour-ish for us.

None of those are CA wines, but when it comes to wine, the more the merrier, right?
    - Erik

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Hard to recommend a wine from a Napa Valley Winery for 10 bucks, Ben. Have to ask you tho'....by pumped up you mean...you saved it and drank it the next night? When I worked the wineries in Napa Valley (25 years) when people would ask me about the latest gadget for saving an open bottle of wine, I would tell them....I have no clue. This has never been a problem or concern at my house. ;-)

Yeah, we used one of those cheap wine-saver pumps.

When we opened the wine, there was just a LOT of sugar there, but not much structure, which was odd. These are the guys that run Atlas Peak, and we know the winemaker's other side efforts. Sure, his wines can have a lot of fruit, but they're never sugary sweet and they ALWAYS have structure. So we got out the trusty rubber stopper and wine pump, and tried it again two day's later. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I've got another bottle lying around, so we'll try this one again, though maybe just try opening it an hour or two before having, or maybe decanting it for a bit (which seems silly for a $8 bottle, but still.) I'll do some notes on everything we like, including this one, over the next few weeks.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    What type of wine, Ben? A wine that supposed to be slightly sweet? A dry wine that is sweet in the least (I don't mean fruity) shouldn't be sweet...ever. Is sweet or dry your preference?

Well I actually just picked up the first load from Trader Joe's. No Leonhardt to be seen, but I'll keep an eye out.

2009 Liberte Cabernet Sauvignon
    2010 Cocobon Red Blend
    2008 NO Chardonnay
    2010 Revelation Chardonnay
    2010 Comique Revolution Blanc
    2009 Rendition Zin
    2010 Piesporter Michelsberg Spaetlese
    2009 Bogle Petite Syrah
    2010 Found Object Gewurtztraminer
    2010 Roccolata Sangiovese
    2011 Ferngreen Sauvignon Blanc
    2010 Trentare Rosso Salento
    2009 Caretaker Pinot Noir

What, no Charles Shaw?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

L'Authentique
    La Ferme Julien
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC