Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the itch...

Got the itch...

I recently got Wayne Goddard's "$50 Knife Shop" and have been reading through it. I have gotten the urge to start working on knives again. I pulled out the tools I have an can probably do a decent by hand project with the hand tools I do have.

I do however have a General International #15-232 http://http://general.ca/site_metal/m_produits/15-232.html. It's got a weird belt size on it. 1 3/4" x 31 7/8". Does anyone know where I can order belts that size or would a straight 2" x 32" sized belt work on it you think?

I got a few hunter knives I have had lying around for years and want to finish those up before I attempt my hand at making a set of kitchen knives. My goal is to make a really nice set for my father one day. So I am going to leap back into this and see what I can accomplish.

Any advice or tips would be awesome! Thanks for reading!

Darren
    Last edited by DarrenSwerid; 02-20-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: fix hyperlink

If a 2x32 fits for width in the houseing, and you have enough tension adjustment available, the belts should work. Also you can make a small cut 1/4" from the edge, and tear that strip off. You can do it with 2x72" belts for doing work in tight quarters, finger grooves, choil etc.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks Pierre!

well, have fun!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

At worst case scenario, you can get a Craftsman 2x42 for under $200 and good belts are quite readily available. Only issue with it, is it runs at 3600 rpm's, which can get metal real hot real fast. But it does work pretty well for the price and you can do a few mods(platen liner, cut the table for fast belt changes, etc.) and make life easier.

I found a local tool shop that sells 2 inch by 32 inch 80 grit belt. I bought some to see if they work on the grinder I have and they do.

Unfortunately they only had the one grit! But now I know they will work so I can order some off of the internet. Where do you fellow Canadians order your belts from?

Check out trugrit.com They might have what you are looking for.

Thanks Mike!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I noticed that the library here has that book here and was thinking of checking it out. How is it for kitchen knives? What I mean does it go into grinds and such? Or does it just talk about what you need for making a knife?

It talks about how to set up a shop on a very limited budget as well as forging as well as stock removal. It doesn't talk about kitchen knives at all. More of how to start making basic knives, which everyone needs to learn if they want to start making knives. I was wondering if there was a making kitchen knife book out there. I haven't looked for one yet.