Quantcast
Got the itch... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got the itch...

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ty Darren. Sounds like I still want to check it out. Was hoping, just like you that it would be the 1 stop book.

Not that lucky

I got one more quick question for you guys. Here's the tools I currently have:

General International 15-232
    Makita Belt Sander
    Dewalt Palm Sander
    Craftsman Cordless Drill
    Double Cut Flat Bastard File
    Mill Bastard File

I am going to order some custom ceramic belts to fit my General International and I am going to find myself some 0000 fine steel wool. But I need some type of epoxy. What kind you you guys use for kitchen knives? Any other suggestions for tools or supplies?

Thanks in advance!

For epoxy, Systen Three T-88 structural epoxy is great. For quick touch ups I use a crystal clear jewelers epoxy.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Any special compounds for the handle? I have read some people use a gunstock finishing product followed by a wax. I am mostly going to be using stabilized wood products.

Depends on who stabilized them I have just buffed some with white compound, and brilliant! Others need an oil to make them pop. You can't tell till you get to that stage, unless you try a test piece, of buff and try a face befor you shape the handle.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I use acraglass epoxy and have had great results. For handles I like to hand sand to 800-1000 grit the keep applying tru-oil until it won't take anymore. In between coats I sand the wood with 0000steel wool. Once I'm done oiling and handle is completely dry I put a coat of mother caranuba wax on the handle and let dry. Once dry I use a clean cotton rag. And hand buff the handle. Should come out very polished and look 3d with some woods.
    Jim
    (you coming to knife/gun show this coming weekend)
    If so stop by and say hello.

Be careful when buffing as it can sometime leave your wood very dirty looking. You must use a very clean buffing wheel
    Jim

I managed to find local sources for System Three T-88 Structural Epoxy and Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish. I also went to a local Gem Shop and picked up Vigor Jewelers Epoxy. Home Depot had 0000 grade steel wool. I have orders from Jantz Supply and Texas Knife Supply coming in. Folder kits and a starter buffing wheel combo kit from Jantz and Scales from TKS.

My father is in town this weekend and he said he might have some scrap steel I can use as an anvil. So hopefully I can set up a small work area soon and get some hunter's I have been working on finished. Then to start designing a kitchen knife set for my father.

Boatbuilder, is the knife/gun show in Calgary? I might have some free time to go tomorrow if it is.

+ Reply to Thread