Quantcast
Inspiration

Thread: Inspiration

Inspiration

I've been a chef for 10 years now. Never before (since now) have I had so much inspiration from you guys about knives. So much in fact I'm looking to get into the craft, and figured a good foundation would be at Ed Fowler's school of knifemaking. Has anyone ever taken a class there? What should I expect? There are some tools that I would need to bring to the school (hammer, tongs, gloves, etc) but dont know where to look. Any websites / purveyors / brands that you all prefer to use? Thank you all for helping me finally realize my dream of knifemaking

There are some links here that have some vendors that supply knife making materials and tools.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

If you are itching to become a metal pounder, I would recommend going to a hammer in or two before you actually look at taking a class. If nothing else, you can pick up some tools at them. Where are you located?

If you want to make kitchen knives worth using, I'd start by buying a few japanese knives, a few blanks and a grinder and trying to get your blanks to work as well as japanese. If you just want to shape steel into something that looks like a knife and takes an edge, you just need to come up with something that people think looks pretty.

I spend about 3 months a year in WA

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If you want to make kitchen knives worth using, I'd start by buying a few japanese knives, a few blanks and a grinder and trying to get your blanks to work as well as japanese. If you just want to shape steel into something that looks like a knife and takes an edge, you just need to come up with something that people think looks pretty.
    i have lots of japanese knives at hand and inspiration from Michael Radar, Bill Burke, Martell, and Fowler to hopefully pound something that looks like somethin. My old man and I are going to build a blowtorch forge and I got some old files to use. Grinding to shape is going to be tricky cause I dont have anything like that to take off a lot of material. Should I oil quench, or water? Clay harden?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Knife Forum has some good tutorials addressing just what you plan to do.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Christo711 View Post
    i have lots of japanese knives at hand and inspiration from Michael Radar, Bill Burke, Martell, and Fowler to hopefully pound something that looks like somethin. My old man and I are going to build a blowtorch forge and I got some old files to use. Grinding to shape is going to be tricky cause I dont have anything like that to take off a lot of material. Should I oil quench, or water? Clay harden?

Thanks for all the advice so far.
    try bladesmith's forum also
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Not sure where you are located but Ed Caffrey from Great Falls Montana is a great teacher as well.

There's no substitute for picking someone you can drive to, calling them up, finding out they are helluva nice guy(they all are), and pounding some hot metal.

Congrats on the addiction, it's a great thing.