Quantcast
Baking for fido
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baking for fido

Baking for fido

Who else is baking dog biscuits? I've been replacing store bought with home made just recently. I met a woman at a Farmers Market that was selling Banana Biscotti and peanut butter hearts that the dogs really seemed to like, and after the market season waned I did a Google search and found the recipes that she was using. After cooking a couple of batches I started just using what I had on hand and the dogs don't seem to mind the lack of a formal recipe! This latest batch is whole wheat flower, rolled oats, milk powder, eggs and peanut butter, with a bit of baking powder and oil.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220021321a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	4753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0220021405.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	4754
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Considering that you are using a heart shaped mold, I am assuming that is one spoiled pooch.

I'm not, but now you have me interested. I think anything with peanut butter is going to work - at least with my dog. She gets scrambled eggs though......
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    Considering that you are using a heart shaped mold, I am assuming that is one spoiled pooch.
    Right now there are 4 in the house! No spoiling, strict discipline at all times!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Right now there are 4 in the house! No spoiling, strict discipline at all times!!
    I want to see a family portrait Spike.

Same here. Pics!

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I've been considering baking some, but my dachshund is already too fat. In other words, don't give treats out too often. It's much better for them, who knows what gets put into the industrial ones.
    Jason

I used to do treats with the pulp left over from juicing vegetables & fruit. Dried it out in the oven a bit and blended it in with the other stuff. Had to make really small treats...that much fiber used to make him fart like a maniac.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The GFs folks have a dog that they pamper like crazy. Like $80 hair cuts once a month sort of crazy. I've been thinking that next year for Christmas I'd like to make some treats or something for her. I'd love a recipe if anyone has a good one.

We have four in our house too and I have thought about making treats, but haven't yet. Anything with peanut butter would definitely go over well with ours. We give them quite a few carrots because our Australian Sheppard has bad breath/teeth and that helps a lot naturally. Great mix of pooches though Golden Retriever, Australian Sheppard, Cockapoo and a pug.