Quantcast
San Mai Gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Mai Gyuto

Very striking! I'm curious to see what you decide to make the handle out of.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Im thinking after I get the handle on this one. If the blade passes my initial tests.. I will send it to ya Dave. and possibly a few others just to get there impressions on the cutting edge and how the steel preforms.

This one has a slightly different profile then my normal Gyuto.. and also is thicker at the spine with a more defined taper then most of my kitchen blades. I cant wait to see how it preforms and how the thicker profile effects cutting, etc.

Ill keep you guys updated and if I send this one out Ill get a list of a few of ya to test it!

Thanks for checking out the thread.
    Randy
    For Tinh's sake make sure the wood is dark! Looks great so far, Randy.

I should have the handles on this by the end of the weekend if everything goes well! Dave you got it bro. Im gona want to use it myself for a week or 2 B4 I will forward it to ya!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

No problem, Randy! I'm really looking forward to trying one of your gyutos.

Dave, this one is different them most I have made. Tried a couple new things on it. and I think I like it. The blade is thicker and has a sweet looking distal taper because of this. Its 3.5mm above the heel and tapers smoothly to the tip.. So this blade will feel substantial in hand, and should be very versatile. The main bevels or faces are ground in a blended convex and at the edge is nice and thin..

Im getting myself excited talking about it and just want to go back out in the show and start working on it now!! lol

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

I managed to get a handle on this blade and we took it for its first test run! Jr took this one home last night and prepped his dinner with it! Now its back here and I plan on cutting a bunch of stuff up with this! I added a Gun metal blue maple burl handle with Stainless pins.

The Specs.
    OAL 14 1/2"
    Blade: AEB-L core clad with HHH Carbon damascus. 240mm Height: 47mm thickness above the heel 3.6mm Tapering sharply to the tip. Convex ground.
    Handle: Maple burl
    Hardware: Stainless steel and mosaic pin.

Thanks for looking.

Availible Knives

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Great looking knife, Randy.

I'm curious to hear where the balance point on this knife is.
    It looks a little handle heavy to me, I could be wrong.
    If so it looks like the tang could use a little tapering.

Beautifull looking knife!
    I really need me a HHH custom.

Keep up the great work guys!

Thanks guys, I had not checked the balance point on this blade yet.. But after all my scientific testing ( Balancing the blade face on a pencil) The balance point on this blade is about 1/4" in front of the heel. Seems to be about perfect to me.. Where would the preferred balance point be on a 240 Gyuto?

Availible Knives

Looks awesome Randy, that san mai is awesome!