Quantcast
San Mai Gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: San Mai Gyuto

I prefer a slightly blade heavy knife. I find a little extra weight up front helps with the cutting action and reduces the amount of force needed to cut stuff.

If this was a custom for myself I might have asked in the beginning for the knife to be a bit more blade heavy but your balance point on this one still sounds good to me.

Things for me to keep in mind when I order one from you!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    damn!
    second that.

The knife feels good in hand and cuts great.. Im expecting a special delivery soon of my new Boardsmith And cant wait to chop some stuff up on it!!

The stainless seems to be taking and holding a great edge. I have resharpened it once trying a slightly steeper bevel and leaving a toothier edge and its aggressive.. I pealed some grapes with it and worked over 5 lbs of potatoes.. and it still shaved arm hair effortlessly as well as sliced paper cleanly stopping and starting the cuts as well as push cuts.

So far Im impressed with the Stainless and it looks promising.

Thanks again for checking out the thread!! Any questions or ideas for continued tests are welcomed.

God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

OK so after a few days of using this one.. I have determined that its not up to snuff. The blade takes and holds a sick edge. The handle feels like a extension of your hand.. and even though its the thickest gyuto I have ever made. Its cuts very nice.. Does have some sticking on potatoes etc.. But nothing out of the normal..

I know what your thinking.. Why is it not up to snuff. Well, There is a couple of micro cracks that appeared near the heel. right at the cutting edge. After using it a few times. Im not 100% sure what part of the process caused them. But my gut feeling is that at one point or another during the forging process. It was overheated?

Im just glad I didnt take anything for granted and assumed anything about this blade.. So Guys that I told I would send this one to. Sry.. Its not leaving the shop. Back to the drawing board, or in this case. The shop!

Thanks guys for checking this thread out. and any of the makers on here with stainless forging experience that have advice.. Please share!! Ill try and get a photo of the edge and post it.

Live and learn.

Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    wow Randy that is tough to admit. Hard to even put out there publicly. I know myself would have come up with something drastic like... um... I dropped a sledge hammer on it while it was in a vice.
    Hope this is something easy to fix.

It is what it is, A test blade. and its through testing that we learn.. I knew when we started this process that there would be a few blades at least to work out the details on this stainless damascus and san mai forging process. We will adjust the process and forging temps.. accordingly.. and the next one will be better.. and when we get it right.. You guys will be the first to know. Cuz Im gona send the blade around and let some of ya test it to make sure its right!

Thanks

Availible Knives

Well done Randy! Speaks volumes about your approach to quality! Good idea about taking detailed pictures of the micro cracks.. It would be interesting to subject it to different reliability tests...

I bet the next one will be stellar!

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post

Thanks guys for checking this thread out. and any of the makers on here with stainless forging experience that have advice.. Please share!! Ill try and get a photo of the edge and post it.

Live and learn.

Randy
    My bet would be Devin, Del and David Broadwell might hve some tips. I have a damascus stainless san mai from David that turned out well. All are great guys.

Here are a couple pictures. I think these show the little micro crack.

After I noticed them I did some additional testing trying to chip the edge on this one. To my surprise it was not chippy, nor has it changed orwn or changed over the last 4 days.

I hate to say it, But this one is staying in my kitchen for further testing!!

Im hopeful that with more testing. We will nail this process.
    Thanks guys for checking out the thread and for your encouraging comments etc.

Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Availible Knives

What a bummer Randy!

Could you re-grind the heel forward to the crack?