Quantcast
D handle removal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D handle removal

D handle removal

How do you guy's remove the original handles without wrecking them? Is it a heat thing? I thought they were sealed in the handles with wax, but i had to break the handle off my Watanabe deba to get it off. I am just trying to rehandle my personal kitchen knives, but do not want to risk ruining any of the knives.

Marko's the man with his technique for removing them in tack, me - I chisel off most in pieces, I've never been able to get more than a small percent off in tact.

I could have sworn that someone posted a tutorial but I can't find it...

i can break them off...not concerned with saving them, just dont want to hurt the knife.

See Marko's tutorial, it's the method I use now, but some just won't come off you are gonna have to destroy it.

With exception of a few makers (Carter) most handles are simply burned and forced in. To knock it off, you need a wooden block that is longer than the blade, placed against the handle. A few blows to the other side of the block, will knock the handle off. Don't forget to tape the edge of the blade, or might be very sorry.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Marko,

If I'm not mistaken, Murray epoxies the handles of only the HG series. The SFGZ and KU knives are burned in. At least that has been my experience.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    With exception of a few makers (Carter) most handles are simply burned and forced in. To knock it off, you need a wooden block that is longer than the blade, placed against the handle. A few blows to the other side of the block, will knock the handle off. Don't forget to tape the edge of the blade, or might be very sorry.

M

Even the ones with epoxy or sealant right where the tang meets the handle will come off with Marko's method.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    most knives i see from japan have some kind of epoxy or sealant in the handle
    They typically seal the tip of the handle, but no epoxy is in the tang. I removed both Takeda and Moritaka handles without damaging them. Carter handles I had to split open - no regrets fro those.

Rick, the one on your knife that I replaced with Cocobolo handle, I had to crack open. I was epoxied.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com