D handle removal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
How do you guy's remove the original handles without wrecking them? Is it a heat thing? I thought they were sealed in the handles with wax, but i had to break the handle off my Watanabe deba to get it off. I am just trying to rehandle my personal kitchen knives, but do not want to risk ruining any of the knives.

Marko's the man with his technique for removing them in tack, me - I chisel off most in pieces, I've never been able to get more than a small percent off in tact.

I could have sworn that someone posted a tutorial but I can't find it...

i can break them off...not concerned with saving them, just dont want to hurt the knife.

See Marko's tutorial, it's the method I use now, but some just won't come off you are gonna have to destroy it.

With exception of a few makers (Carter) most handles are simply burned and forced in. To knock it off, you need a wooden block that is longer than the blade, placed against the handle. A few blows to the other side of the block, will knock the handle off. Don't forget to tape the edge of the blade, or might be very sorry.

M

Marko,

If I'm not mistaken, Murray epoxies the handles of only the HG series. The SFGZ and KU knives are burned in. At least that has been my experience.

Rick

With exception of a few makers (Carter) most handles are simply burned and forced in. To knock it off, you need a wooden block that is longer than the blade, placed against the handle. A few blows to the other side of the block, will knock the handle off. Don't forget to tape the edge of the blade, or might be very sorry.

M

Even the ones with epoxy or sealant right where the tang meets the handle will come off with Marko's method.

most knives i see from japan have some kind of epoxy or sealant in the handle

They typically seal the tip of the handle, but no epoxy is in the tang. I removed both Takeda and Moritaka handles without damaging them. Carter handles I had to split open - no regrets fro those. :)

Rick, the one on your knife that I replaced with Cocobolo handle, I had to crack open. I was epoxied.

for almost every maker i cary they are epoxied all the way through... there are a couple that are only sealed at the top and a few with nothing at all

Thanks guys. I think i will make a block that is slotted for the blade and try Marko's method....If it doesn't work, there is always the squeeze them in a vise method...that worked for me last night lol.

Interesting. I've seen maybe a dozen Carters. Only the HG's have been epoxied, except for one SFGZ that had an upgraded ho wood handle on it.

It's quite possible, but the one I removed had a pretty unremarkable handle on it and it was epoxied.

M

I wouldn't characterize any handle I've seen from Murray as "remarkable," lol. Although, I do like my ebony handle.

My whole thought this time is "why would anyone want to save a Murray handle?" :)

I never try to save any, I just use a chisel, by far the best way to crack those suckers off.

I could link you to the tutorial that TK was talking about, but what I posted below was easier to find and it's a video.

[video=youtube;6evDu8cjRps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6evDu8cjRps[/video]

Back