Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: Open Source Idea -- Custom Butter/Table Knives

  1. #21
    Found these at a estate and thought the handles were just to cool. Heres a few pictures of them.. I dont know if it fits into what your thinking. There just to cool!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 107.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	4821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 108.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	4822  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather petty, Nakiri, spoons 106.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	4823  

    Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

    Availible Knives

  2. #22
    Hi Dinky,

    I think it will be easiest for you to get a consistent set if you have several different blade-smiths provide you blanks of different damascus in a consistent set of dimensions, and then have one single person cut the pattern and grind each down to the right blade profile. A handle maker could apply the handle or scales and pins, then do the final finishing and polishing. This would get you a matching set that has unique steel qualities and flair, yet still look and feel consistent at the table.

    The knives you've indicated a preference for have a blade profile much like a spatula, which come from the pastry arena (French and German traditions). To make them useful for a wider range of foods and condiments, adding bit of belly is a good idea (English silver style).

    This is a great idea and I'm excited to see it develop.

    Best of Luck,
    D

  3. #23
    Senior Member Deckhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Costa Mesa California
    Posts
    1,732
    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Found these at a estate and thought the handles were just to cool. Heres a few pictures of them.. I dont know if it fits into what your thinking. There just to cool!
    Those handles are really cool.

  4. #24
    Mr Drinky

    I ordered 2 knives to day: One for me and one for you.
    Im sending it to you as soon as I get mine. Its this one:

    Ill contact you on your pm for address. This is a gift from me to you, so no charge I might send another one as well, and if both you and I are both satisfied I could join into a order for a better price. I would prefer if Devin did the knives, as I want his stainless damscus on this one. If you agree you can send the knife to him after testing it

    Sending you a pm when I got the knives

  5. #25

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    mr drinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St. Paul, MN
    Posts
    3,186
    Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Mr Drinky

    I ordered 2 knives to day: One for me and one for you.
    Im sending it to you as soon as I get mine. Its this one:

    Ill contact you on your pm for address. This is a gift from me to you, so no charge I might send another one as well, and if both you and I are both satisfied I could join into a order for a better price. I would prefer if Devin did the knives, as I want his stainless damscus on this one. If you agree you can send the knife to him after testing it

    Sending you a pm when I got the knives
    Wow, thanks Ø. That's very generous. And Devin was the first person I brought this up with last summer, but I never got around to refining the idea -- though I did buy some vintage sample knives.

    Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    Hi Dinky,

    I think it will be easiest for you to get a consistent set if you have several different blade-smiths provide you blanks of different damascus in a consistent set of dimensions, and then have one single person cut the pattern and grind each down to the right blade profile. A handle maker could apply the handle or scales and pins, then do the final finishing and polishing. This would get you a matching set that has unique steel qualities and flair, yet still look and feel consistent at the table.

    D
    D, that might be a good idea. Get it cut and heat treated and then sent off for the grind and handles.

    Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Found these at a estate and thought the handles were just to cool. Heres a few pictures of them.. I dont know if it fits into what your thinking. There just to cool!
    That handle is amazing and I would LOVE something like that, but I always wonder about that sort of detail and the cost. But thanks for pimping my concept of what is possible


    And lastly to the enabler tkern. I just ordered that set from the UK. Good thing I make my own butter

    Here is the picture of the ones I got.

    k.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

  7. #27
    Senior Member tkern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    640
    ha!

  8. #28
    Nice. Don't do anything before involving me then

    I don't know if the knives I order for us will be any good in steel. Its wooden knives, and I think the wood gives it more flex than a steel one.
    Anyway, I guess I have it within a week, and will ship it to you then If the price is right I might go for 2 or 3 knives. Would be fun if we could have a group buy at devin.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    sachem allison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    3,976
    Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Nice. Don't do anything before involving me then

    I don't know if the knives I order for us will be any good in steel. Its wooden knives, and I think the wood gives it more flex than a steel one.
    Anyway, I guess I have it within a week, and will ship it to you then If the price is right I might go for 2 or 3 knives. Would be fun if we could have a group buy at devin.
    aren't you on a no buy for all of 2012? Or was that a dream sequence I had?
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Johnny.B.Good's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    aren't you on a no buy for all of 2012? Or was that a dream sequence I had?
    Kitchen knives, not table knives, right Oivind?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •