Shotguns

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's ya'lls favorite shotgun? Been looking at getting a Mossberg Tactical 500 or 590 series. Mostly for shooting at the range (mountain range that is!) and home protection. I have a SA 45 XDM but nothing say hello like a chambering a shotgun. Want something with upgrading options as I will likely get a surefire light later on...Jason

Remington 870. tons of upgrade ability. I have a japanese one right now, cannot remember the name, but it is basically a Mossberg 500- Tactical.
P1030016.jpg

Benelli M1014 (Origionaly M4 Super 90) Beautiful tactical shotgun! Extreme reliability. 25000 rds in testing, without parts failure.

Benelli M1014 (Origionaly M4 Super 90) Beautiful tactical shotgun! Extreme reliability. 25000 rds in testing, without parts failure.

Remington 500 Thunder Ranch is another solid choice.

Feed it 1 1/8 oz. solid copper slugs for a statement down range.

Shotguns:
What's ya'lls favorite shotgun?

Really depends on the application.

Home defense?

Upland, waterfowl, big game... ?

Those top tang safeties are a big selling point (along with reliability/durability) on the Mossberg 500 series...

Home defense I have a charles daly 20ga. I got a 20ga since my girl can use it if needed it is carrying 6 remington 2 3/4" #3 buck.

it's in cali, but I have winchester model 1901 10ga. lever action I love

My only shotgun is a 12 ga weatherby that my godfather left me when he passed. It has 26" barrels which are small for my tastes and I prefer 20 ga typically so I rarely shoot it. My dad has a beautiful Perazzi 20 ga that I love to shoot. He actually prefers his Benelli Super Sport over the Perazzi so I always get the Perazzi.

870-2.jpg

For defensive use: Remington 870, preferably an old Wingmaster for the smoothest action. Important mods are 1) good sights; 2) sling (the shotgun's holster); 3) shortened stock & barrel for maneuverability in tight spaces; 4) light is essential. It can be hand-held, but manipulating and firing a shotgun with one hand is challenging.

My personal choice would be the Benelli for general protection purposes / tactical. My next choice would be a modified Remington 870. the nice thing with the 870 is that you can modify it very easily and fairly reasonably priced to switch from tactical to sport. Plus, if you are looking for a sound to scare the crap out of someone - the 870 pump makes a pretty ominous cha-chunk when you work the action. Due to being a foster parent, I have to have my guns locked up separately from my bullets/cartridges, so to have a tactical shotgun in the house doesn't have any benefit. Having four dogs that bark at every little noise makes up for that.

Where the hell do you fellas live that you need one these for " home protection " ???

Are we just lucky here in OZ, is US really that dangerous?

Rowan...

is US really that dangerous?

You have no idea...
When the day comes that regular deliveries to our grocery stores stop...
When the day comes that gas reaches $6-$7 per gallon...
When the day comes that our police can't be everywhere at once...

A shotgun is the minimum you'll need for home protection here in the US.
-M

Solicitor/Redcoat at the door...

Them: "Would you like to subscribe to the Gazette, I am a poor college student"/"Put your bloody hands up!"
Me: "Hold a sec please" (keep door slightly cracked, chamber a round %cha-chunk%)
Me again: (back in the door) "Where were we?"
Them: (wet pants)

:spiteful:

Where the hell do you fellas live that you need one these for " home protection " ???

Rowan...
I got it just in case. There has only been 1 break in in this neighborhood in the 6 years I have lived here. I think he was targeted but why take chances.

Guy's my post was a bit cheeky please dis-regard if you're offended.

Yes I know well the differences in attitudes to firearms between our localities.

Rowan...

Nah not offended, just explaining why I got one. I also love firearms I have a Springfield xd45, pre ban Colt AR-15, Kel-Tec 380-for the girl, and a Taurus 380-for me.

I believe that the likelihood of ever having to "need" to use a weapon for home protection is extremely slim in most areas of the country (for some of us that might not be the case though). However, when put in the position where I need to protect myself, I would like to be prepared and ready to protect my home and family. I have lived in areas where I did have that "need", but that was a long time ago.

There was a woman in Oklahoma a couple of months ago whose husband died and two idiots decided to use that as an opportunity to attempt to rape her and maybe worse. She locked herself in a bedroom and called 911 - she asked the 911 dispatcher if she could shoot these individuals and was told she should do what she had to do to protect herself and her baby. After 20 minutes the police still were not there and the men were breaking into the bedroom and she shot one dead and the other guy fled (and was caught later by the police). She was prepared and did what she needed to do to protect herself.

We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free -- Ronald Reagan

Rowan...

You forgot about the British... never know when they might want to take this country back.

British ?

Hell.

It's the Canucks that have me on edge. One day they will rise.

I mean how long can they remain America's hat, or that crazy uncle that lives in our attic ? :D

Fellow US citizens keep your loins girded.

Til then, the only true time for rest... ?

Hockey Night In Canada.

I have a mossberg 500 persuader. Nice action; only six shot with one chambered. Super upgradable. Stock is long, would replace with pistol grip/ colapsable/ tactical. Comes with a vented barrel shroud that hinders flashlight mounting....

"Comes with a vented barrel shroud that hinders flashlight mounting...."

Duct tape.

I was actually just emailing with my brother and he told me he recently picked up a Mossberg 535 Tactical shotgun. The only problem with this is that it has a fixed choke. I would make sure to find something with removable chokes if you want to use it for other applications.

Back