Hello from Jasper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooMajik

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry jumped the gun and posted something. found the forum when researching a knife I had just ordered. I'm just starting to get into carbon steel knives, What is the difference in the final product of a forced or natural patina? How do different food effect look of the patina? (veg, fruits, beef, fish, I've seen instant coffee and vinegar used) The knife is question is likely just going to be used for carving; beef, lamb, pork. Salty Dog has some incredible looking blades. One he has drawn on with rubber which gave a great effect. Any advice before I start to experiment?

:welcome2:

Drawn with rubber?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Depends on the steel, but breaking down and cutting up still-hot, roasted whole chicken with a polished knife and letting the knife sit upwiped for about 10-15 minutes gives me some of my favorite patinas. But then again, my Shigefusa turned green-purple from sweet potatoes, so it's all part of the fun...trying things out!

Welcome! :ntmy:

:welcome2:

Drawn with rubber?

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

Rubber cement looked like an ocean Japanese wood block print very Hiroshige on my favorite color blue patina thread.

Welcome!!

Welcome to the forum.

If you are going to use your new knife primarily to cut proteins, I would just let the patina develop naturally (unless you are impatient, want full coverage, or just to experiment).

I bought a cheap Fujiwara, I'd just like some protection against discolouration of food and smell should i decide to use it for other tasks.

Welcome to the Knut House! The protection from smell and whatnot will take care of itself if you cut some meat, as has been stated above.
When I want to accelerate a patina I use mustard.

ok, I had heard that Mustard tends to only work on the surface of the material. I Think I'm going to force it with beef blood and prosciutto or another cured meat, see what happens.

I don't think that any method goes beneath the surface.

Ok, I'm just trying to understand how it functions. I wasn't sure if the form of oxidation was just on the surface or if the steel was effected though the whole length. there was one in the blue thread that had been cutting salty cured meats that appeared to be a little ways into the steel or had he not touched the edge?

Welcome welcome!

From what I understand, all patina is just surface reactions. The surface reacts first of course, and once it does, everything else underneath is protected from the reactions that gave you the patina in the first place.

In my limited experience, it would make sense that all patinas, forced or 'earned' are surface reactions since most patinas can be removed abrasively and sometimes chemically. The difference is simply the speed and intent of causing a patina to form. The hot water trick on my shirogami carbon petty seems to slow reactions and reduce the 'stinky knife' odor.

Cool, great to know. In the week I've been on here my understand of this continues to compound. I'm just trying to what will be happening with my knives as I start to use carbon steel over stainless.

You guys and this place are Awesome. Just a Goldmine of knowledge. It would be great to sit and chat with someone at some point. So Glad I found this site.

Latest posts

Back