Thread: Dip Bucket

Dip Bucket

When I ground out my first knife it was double high carbon steel and when I was dipping to cool it there was rust forming.I remembered seeing pics of japanese makers with blades sitting in what looked like anti-freeze.So I stopped grinding and ran to pep boys to get two gals of RV coolant to mix in my 5 gal bucket.I have not had any rust issues doing carbon ever since.Has anybody else used coolant in a dip bucket??

Haha. That's not a bad idea! I can't say I've had major problems though. I only see rust in the rough grinding stage, really. As I get close to finishing, I don't see much discoloration at all.

I add backing soda to the water. For that matter, I add backing soda to my stone pool as well, as I change water about once a couple of weeks in the shop.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Yeah, been useing coolant for some time now.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Yeah, been useing coolant for some time now.
    Shoot Pierre - I'm surprised your coolant isn't frozen half the year.

its called anti-freeze up here!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I use a combination of baking soda and dishsoap in my dip bucket. The dishsoap breaks the surface tension of the water and allows the gunk to sink easily so it doesn't form a thick "skin" on the surface of the water. What i didn't say is my dip bucket sits about 3 inches under my grinder and collects junk. I need to get two separate, and the anti freeze thing will happen also...great idea.

I never used anti-freeze just the baking soda but might give it a try!

i woudl be learry of antifreeze on my hands most the day
    i use baking soda

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    i woudl be learry of antifreeze on my hands most the day
    i use baking soda
    +1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol_poisoning

Given that this is a hydrocarbon, absorption through the skin also occurrs at differing rates based on location of bodily contact. If I remeber correctly absorption through the skin at the hands is approx. 7-10%. This would also be compounded by vapors generated when heated off the surface of the blade that would then be addition injestion through inhilation. I wouldn't do it.