Quantcast
Revised D-Shape Handle Design - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised D-Shape Handle Design

Very nice, Marko. I really like how you developed your own style over time. I happen to like oval handles but always interpreted the D-shaped ones more as a variation of a round one. Your handle here seems like the perfect fusion of the oval and the classical D-shape with the 'ridge' a bit less pronounced and the taper making it look even more elegant. I agree, I would associate it more with smaller knives, but it looks great on this one here - a great gyuto length anyway IMHO. You are raising the bar again, now I have to work harder to keep up I am just having too much fun playing around with materials and colors to develop such a distinctive style, but I admire yours. Oh, and your photography is first rate also, that lighting really puts the materials in the spotlight.

Stefan

When I first saw Marko branching out from his classic design (octagonal shape, dark wood, nickel silver spacer/s, black horn) I thought it might be a mistake, but not anymore. I love the new D-shape and some of the lighter wood and marble horn combinations so much I no longer know my own preference. All of the shapes and materials are elegant and understated. While the classic design remains Marko's "signature" look for me, it's more about the impeccable fit and finish than anything else. Very impressive.

Excellent thoughts and work Marko. You continue to impress with the thoughtfulness of your designs and your work is, as always, awesome.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thanks, Stefan and others -

Classic octagonal is here to stay, no question about it, but a little tweak here and there upon request won't hurt it. That's the idea.

Classic D-shape, albeit comfortable, has a too-utilitarian look on most handles we see, so my version is an attempt to spice it up a little bit, as it is a great shape and on smaller knives easily more preferable to octagonal in my opinion.

I hope I am not jumping over my head by announcing that there is yet another wa handle in works - an oval, Coca-Cola bottle shaped handle - drawing on elements from Japanese and Western tradition. Please note, a lot of these designs are out there, this is just my own interpretation of it.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I love the shaping that you're doing on the front of these, it really makes sense from both an aesthetic and an ergonomic standpoint.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

That looks fantastic!!! I want one!!! How much taper does the handle have?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I hope I am not jumping over my head by announcing that there is yet another wa handle in works - an oval, Coca-Cola bottle shaped handle - drawing on elements from Japanese and Western tradition. Please note, a lot of these designs are out there, this is just my own interpretation of it.

M
    The Coca-Cola shaped handle is surprisingly difficult to do. I have tried unsuccesfully a handful of times, one of these days I will get one I like.

I would love to see what you come up with.

Mario -
    The taper extends to about 1.5" on the right side and 1.25 on the left (right side has the ridge, so the taper is a little longer). I don't have calipers here, but I would say it is about 1/4 (or slightly more) narrower at the tip, than where the tapering starts. This was kind of an experiment, so I didn't take detailed measurements. Just kept grinding till it looked about right.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    The Coca-Cola shaped handle is surprisingly difficult to do. I have tried unsuccesfully a handful of times, one of these days I will get one I like.

I would love to see what you come up with.
    You need a wheel or platen for that. Doing it by hand is difficult.

M

-Niels Bohr

[QUOTE=

Steve, I need dimensions of that handle.

M[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. I forgot to return that knife . . . I'll measure it this afternoon.

+ Reply to Thread