Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised D-Shape Handle Design

Revised D-Shape Handle Design

I made some changes to an earlier design as suggested by tk59, JC, Bao (many thanks to you!).

Length and width of the tapers on both sides will vary from a handle to a handle. I also plan to introduce a similar modification to an octagonal shape handle.

Some of the horn I have (picture at the top) has these amazing brown lines, looking more like wood. That was a very pleasant discovery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0374.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	4829

Name:	DSC_0368.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	4830

Name:	DSC_0369.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	4831

Name:	DSC_0370.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	4832

Name:	DSC_0372.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	4833

Name:	DSC_0373.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	4834

Opinions and criticism are welcome.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Looks great, can't wait to get mine.

Very nice and clean-looking, as usual, Marko! How does it feel?

I really like D handles. That one looks great!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Thanks guys!

It seems to feel pretty comfortable, but I should know more after I hear from the owner. Tapering should work very well with oval handle design.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Nothing wrong with the d shaped handles, but your octogon handles are so amazing I have a hard time picturing more of your knives with anything but.
    Last edited by kalaeb; 02-22-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: phone issues

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Nothing wrong with the d shaped handles, but your octogon handles are so amazing I have a hard time picturing your more of your knives with anything but.
    +1

Looks really nice Marko , I've always preferred D handles , your mods to the stock J handles look well thought-out.

I hope to give one a work out in my kitchen one day.

Rowan...

Looks awesome, I actually prefer D-shape to octagonal.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Nothing wrong with the d shaped handles, but your octogon handles are so amazing I have a hard time picturing more of your knives with anything but.
    I don't intend stop making octagonal, just in addition to a classic octagonal shape, I am going to offer some modifications - rounded bottom and top sides, tapered ferrule, etc. Some of these ideas came from customers' requests, some from what's out there.

I like the D-shape on smaller knives, and octagonal on larger knives. A D-handle for one of my 180mm gyuto felt like the best handle to hold in my hand. Speaking of which, Steve, I need dimensions of that handle.

M