Quantcast
Revised D-Shape Handle Design - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised D-Shape Handle Design

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    Oh yeah. I forgot to return that knife . . . I'll measure it this afternoon.

I got to say, that was the most comfortable handle I ever held. I hope to be able to recreate it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Looks great M. Very nice handle for those who use a pinch grip. Very good for those larger gyutos where the d handle makes it a little uncomfortable to use the pinch grip.

I like this a lot Marko, very nice looking design.

I have 2 D-handles coming, can't wait to see them (or better yet, hold them).

Dang Marko!
    This has to be the most beautiful D-Shape Handle I have ever seen.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Dang Marko!
    This has to be the most beautiful D-Shape Handle I have ever seen.
    Thank you. You guys give me way more credit than I deserve.

Mark, the block that this handle is made of is one of your "imperfect" redwood burl blocks that you sold a short while ago.

M

Incredibly slick, Marko. Nicely done.

All kidding aside, Marko sent me the 180 mm W2 knife so I could consider the modified-D handle as an alternative to the octagonal handles he's famous for. He also said that, if I liked, I could keep the knife; an obvious no-brainer.
    I've had the knife for quite some time, and use it almost exclusively; ostensibly for testing, but really because I like it.
    I think of it not as a "practice knife", but rather as a "pacifier knife". Marko should probably consider sending one to all of his customers so they don't exhibit signs of anxiety (Mr. Drinky?).
    After careful consideration, I've concluded that the mod-D is very comfy, but I'm still in the camp of those who see his octagonal handles as a classic design. They are simply beautiful.
    So, I sent Marko the measurements, but I'm still hanging onto the knife . . .

The Marko Meji!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The Marko Meji!
    Not quite. I can't say I haven't been influenced by Kramer's Meiji (double negative, I know), but there are some subtle but important differences.
    Size - my D is smaller, similar in size to Japanese D, so balance on the blade is forward. Taper - Meiji has a flat taper on one side, my revised D has flat taper on both sides of the ferrule (Fish/Andy influence). Meiji has an angled butt, my D will not (this feature doesn't appeal to me on wa handles). Machi height - Meiji look in part depends on machi height, I use regular machi height, so the triangle at the ferrule is narrower and looks slightly different.

Call the both souped up variations of a D.

M