Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised D-Shape Handle Design

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    Oh yeah. I forgot to return that knife . . . I'll measure it this afternoon.

I got to say, that was the most comfortable handle I ever held. I hope to be able to recreate it.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Looks great M. Very nice handle for those who use a pinch grip. Very good for those larger gyutos where the d handle makes it a little uncomfortable to use the pinch grip.

I like this a lot Marko, very nice looking design.

I have 2 D-handles coming, can't wait to see them (or better yet, hold them).

Dang Marko!
    This has to be the most beautiful D-Shape Handle I have ever seen.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Dang Marko!
    This has to be the most beautiful D-Shape Handle I have ever seen.
    Thank you. You guys give me way more credit than I deserve.

Mark, the block that this handle is made of is one of your "imperfect" redwood burl blocks that you sold a short while ago.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Incredibly slick, Marko. Nicely done.

All kidding aside, Marko sent me the 180 mm W2 knife so I could consider the modified-D handle as an alternative to the octagonal handles he's famous for. He also said that, if I liked, I could keep the knife; an obvious no-brainer.
    I've had the knife for quite some time, and use it almost exclusively; ostensibly for testing, but really because I like it.
    I think of it not as a "practice knife", but rather as a "pacifier knife". Marko should probably consider sending one to all of his customers so they don't exhibit signs of anxiety (Mr. Drinky?).
    After careful consideration, I've concluded that the mod-D is very comfy, but I'm still in the camp of those who see his octagonal handles as a classic design. They are simply beautiful.
    So, I sent Marko the measurements, but I'm still hanging onto the knife . . .

The Marko Meji!

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    The Marko Meji!
    Not quite. I can't say I haven't been influenced by Kramer's Meiji (double negative, I know), but there are some subtle but important differences.
    Size - my D is smaller, similar in size to Japanese D, so balance on the blade is forward. Taper - Meiji has a flat taper on one side, my revised D has flat taper on both sides of the ferrule (Fish/Andy influence). Meiji has an angled butt, my D will not (this feature doesn't appeal to me on wa handles). Machi height - Meiji look in part depends on machi height, I use regular machi height, so the triangle at the ferrule is narrower and looks slightly different.

Call the both souped up variations of a D.

M