Quantcast
Your favorite handle(s)?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite handle(s)?

Your favorite handle(s)?

Or eye-opening. Or inspiring. Or just plain drooly.

Pictures please I'm looking for ideas and inspiration for handle designs and shapes.

-----

When I first saw this picture of a Martell knife (I will remove this picture if I'm overstepping boundaries), something clicked in my head. I thought, "Woah, that tapers a lot all along the width from the butt to the front. I like that. Kind of a lot." I was so used to octagon handles and how they didn't have such dramatic tapers.

A long time ago I saw some Chroma knives. Very interesting, incredibly out-of-the-box, and in my eyes, very good looking. Maybe they don't work that well, but the lines flow and are sleek.

This is a knife I used before I got more serious with knives in general. I take a lot of inspiration from this knife to be honest, because it was my favorite back then. I use it as reference for many of the dimensions of the knives I make, such as heel height, handle size, etc. The part that stuck out most to me was the butt of the handle, how it angles downward, rather than upward.

Of course, Japanese octagon and d handles struck my fancy practically instantly when I got into cutlery.

If I am out-of-line by using any of these pictures, I will remove/replace them. Thanks for your time

I like my handles a little more curvy so I prefer western handles. it seems as most here prefer octogon handles.

I'm a big fan of a handle that tapers into the blade (for easing into the pinch grip). I pretty much across the board dislike handles with a square 90* drop when the handle meets the blade. Even on my wa-style octagon knives I taper in the last inch and a half. On my western style handle I also do the same. I like a round belly and a taper in to the blade like the Martell handle you posted first. That one is basically like my ideal western handle only with a fatter rounder mid section and a taper again towards the butt.

I like Western handles, they sort of feel like a part of the knife more than wa handles I find, they just fit into your hand a little easier. I asked Tilman/Rottman to rehandle my 270 Western Konosuke a while ago and he modified the handle slightly to add a downward curve at the end. Fish had a lot of Western handles like this and I always liked them and wanted to sort of recreate the look. I think it fits into you hand a little better than the more usual Western handles, and I also think it looks pretty cool. Great work by Tilman

I never liked western handles or much taper in a handle, so finding Japanese knives with wa-handles was life changing. I prefer octagon because the flat sections give me the ability to feel for blade alignment, even when using various grips. Nice wood + horn ferrule + octagon is pretty much the perfect handle in my opinion.

steven, I was wondering as your in the UK do you know anyone in the UK that does re-handles? sorry to go a little off topic

I love the handle on my classic ikon santoku

It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    steven, I was wondering as your in the UK do you know anyone in the UK that does re-handles? sorry to go a little off topic
    Tilman, or Rottman as he is known on the forum rehandled mine and he is in Germany. It ain't that far away, postage isn't that bad to Germany. The price was also pretty good, I'd highly recommend him. Not sure I can think of anyone in the UK, maybe Will but he seems very very busy. Perhaps some of the other UK posters can help me out?

Thanks, your handle looks pretty good on that kono.

octagon wa-handles all the way. i do not care for "D" handles at all

if i absolutely had to use a western handle, the one on that HD looks pretty sweet as far as how i would think it handles, and not the color etc
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"