Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need a bread knife? If so, which one? Tojiro?

Do I need a bread knife? If so, which one? Tojiro?

So I looked at the bread knife threads around here. I saw a post by tk59 that he uses a suji 95% of the time to cut bread. Do the rest of you guys only use a plain edge knife (as opposed to serrated/scalloped knife)? I have a tough time getting my gyuto to easily bite into anything that is even slightly crusty (i.e. anything more crusty than soft sandwich type bread).

I'm looking at the Tojiro bread knife and wondering if I should put that same amount or a little more into a suji or if the bread knife would be the better choice for now until I decide I need a suji for slicing meat.

Also, if I do go with the Tojiro, would it be crazy to think that I could rehandle it myself? I don't have a belt sander or things like that, so it'd have to be files, a few small saws, sandpaper, etc...

I got the Tojiro ITK bread knife for Christmas and am very happy with it so far. Glides through crusty bread.

I use a suji most the time, and if you were torn between a suji or a bread knife, get the suji.

If you have some spare funds the Tojiro bread knife is a good knife, but completely non necessary.

I have been using a 270 laser gyuto to cut bread....I have had amazing luck with it and crusty bread.

I think it's a good idea to have a long serrated blade in your basic kit. You can use it for large and small breads and crusty fruits and veggies.

Some breads come in quite large/wide loaves, like a Miche, or large Challah. If you have a reasonable kitchen surface, go with a 9 or 10 inch bread knife over an 8 inch. The length allows you to focus on the carve/slice, rather than the downward pressure. It also facilitates less strokes to get through the bread, causing less damage.

Any ideas why my edges might not be biting into the bread? I know I'm not great at sharpening, but the edges work fine for most other things.

Also, if I get a suji, 270mm or 300mm? Is there any reason to go smaller other than cost?

I think it's a good idea to have a long serrated blade in your basic kit. You can use it for large and small breads and crusty fruits and veggies.

Some breads come in quite large/wide loaves, like a Miche, or large Challah. If you have a reasonable kitchen surface, go with a 9 or 10 inch bread knife over an 8 inch. The length allows you to focus on the carve/slice, rather than the downward pressure. It also facilitates less strokes to get through the bread, causing less damage.

As for which one?... there are many options. Please give us an idea of your budget and current knives and people can make recommendations.

Finally, I got my tojiro itk bread knife on Friday. No regrets. This one is a definite keeper for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dschonbrun View Post
    As for which one?... there are many options. Please give us an idea of your budget and current knives and people can make recommendations.
    Current knives: 270mm Heiji gyuto, 210mm Heiji sujihiki, 80mm Suisin parer.

If I'm getting a bread knife, I wouldn't want it to cost much more than the Tojiro unless it's significantly better.

For sujis, my budget is bigger...let's say best I can get for around $150-200. I don't want to spend more, because I really don't slice a ton of meat. I barely do. It'd be nice for butternut squash and things like that, though. I kinda wanna buy the Suisin Inox just because I like my 80mm parer and Jon's shop, but I don't know if there are better options for the price.

I also really like the ITK tojiro bread knife. I don't use it nearly as much as Eamon (aka sandwich machine), but it does do a better job with bread, cake, baked goods than a straight edged blade. The scallops also cut without the tearing/crumbing of product or gouging of board that the normal "pointy"serrations are known for.
    The handle is perfectly fine as is, but I also wouldn't see a regardle project being all that difficult / more difficult than any other knife.

However if you stick with the gyuto, a lower grit/toothy edge helps, and using the point of the tip or heel to puncture the crust and start the cut works well on crusty bread.