Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damascus Carving Set WIP

I see them both ways (straight and curved), but think curved would be a bit easier to use. Like this.

Yeah that looks good. A subtle curve. My tines are quite far apart. But I think that will be ok.

I'm now thinking I may take a small round file to the remnants of the twist surface texture and make a feature of that. Mmm looking forward to etching it.

Hard to judge scale but looks like it'll be a big fork,what are the measurements?
    I prefer curved tines to straight but only gently curved. If you can get the twist crisp with files that'd be awesome

I'll get some measurements today. Curved it is

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Yeah that looks good. A subtle curve. My tines are quite far apart. But I think that will be ok.
    Your tines aren't too far apart. Every other carving fork's are too close together.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I find traditional carving forks to be mostly useless when tackling a large roast or bird. The are okay for use as a fork when you want to move a slice from carving platter to plate, but for controlling the roast, meh. The tines are too close together, so it doesnt help prevent any side to side or twisting motion. The handle is also in the same axis as the roast would be turning, so it doesn't provide adequate leverage for preventing it.

This is my father's carving "fork" and I believe it was his parent's before it was his. No maker's mark. Tines are a shade over 2" apart (54mm actually). Makes for a very stable roast or bird while carving, even on wet/greasy/slippery carving boards.

"God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

That looks great! I have measured mine, the tines are 155mm long and 50mm apart. It going to be a pain to hand finish, I've brought it home to do infront of the tv tonight.
    I did a bit of file work on the spiral bit, looked pretty good but I test etched it and the damascus looked better so the file work had to go.

Very nice Will!!! Really like the shape of that.

Crazy skill there, Will -

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

You gotta love a dammy carving fork.....