Quantcast
Damascus Carving Set WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Damascus Carving Set WIP

Will, AWESOME! I just found this thread and glad I did. I was thinking about doing a set just the other day. Iits great to be able to see how your doing yours. I will be watching. I cant wait to see that finished fork. Your doing some really COOL stuff!!! Thanks for Taking the time to do the WIP!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Thanks for the kind words Guys, got the blade forged out and tapered today and heat treated them both. The blade is 290mm at the moment. Will be getting a bit more slender after HT

Some progress on these at last,
    Quick check of the san mai so I remember where I am.

Handle bits cut squared and drilled, now gluing up. I'm trying something different on these, its good to experiment on your friends

Bolsters drilled and slotted.

Getting there....Have a great weekend everyone

Looking good Will.

Can't wait to see them finished. Your friends should be very pleased.

Nice!

Looks great Will -

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thanks Guys, did a bit more on these today. Got the handles squared up, bolsters shaped, I made an endcap for the Knife too to get the balance nice, I epoxied the bits on and have left to set. These Handles will be on the "diamond", I'll knock the corners off and there will be a taper on the sides at the front, maybe the rear. I've seen a handle like this and liked it, Kramer or Fish? I cant remember.
    I've started using West systems epoxy and i'm really impressed, its quite fluid when fresh and it really seems to penetrate, takes a while to go off, but it just feels solid. The real test will be grinding those tapers in on the copper bits without the glue popping.
    Gave the fork a quick etch, I think I will hand sand finish it to get better contrast rather than polish as the pattern is really subtle in places. Blade also hand finished ready for logo and etch.

Now that's going to make on hell of a carving set. The fork in particular has turned out to be quite sublime. Great job Will.

Pretty amazing again Will!!! Really dig this stuff.

Engorged Member
    Looking good Will. Handles are too square-ish.