Quantcast
Yoshihiro Honkasumi Deba 21cm - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yoshihiro Honkasumi Deba 21cm

Thanks man, sorry forgot to answer. I dont have time really to make photos in between fish or after. But I will try harder.

This knife is A beast. Not breast! I just worked my way through 200kg of halibut and it was a pleasure. Of course the edge got little fatigued but still holds quite OK.

And the halibutes from photo before I prepped with the same edge. Lovely to use. The size and weight just makes it so so cool to operate, even for long time. Also, even though it was wet non stop for 5 hours, it didnt get any stains.

Here is a photo of 50kgs of fish.
    The fish company messed up and instead of bringing 5 pieces of 40 kgs, like it was ordered, they brought these and rest in 3-6 kilo size.
    All beautiful and wild, but get through 200kgs of that small fish, its crazy.
    All in all we managed to swap the smallest ones for little bigger ones, 7-8kgs with head on.

Debbie is sooo cool

50 k without head. Have a look how the bench looks like compared to the size of fish.

Part of 150k batch for friday.

Crazy fish quality. The wild halibut is soo much better than farmed. Jess!

what's linseed oil? never heard of it, where could i find em? and by 50, you meant 50 degrees for 100 minutes correct? basically it just darken the wood right? sorry for too many questions lol. nice review btw.

No worries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

I unfortunately dont have a clue where you could buy that in US, but a drugstore is my best bet since its edible, sometimes used as midicine.

Yes, 50 celsius degrees and around one and a half hour was enough. It was just an experiment, but Ive read before that it penetrates better when warm, I think someone mentioned 44 degrees somewhere.

It does darken the wood, or brings out the structure and colour, it basically penetrates the wood so the water cannot, leaving very very very durable surface, and actually better grip when wet.

I think its all about rancity, its pretty fast with linseed, making it "drying" faster. People says two weeks, but you could speed it up with oven.
    Where I am vikings used it for ages to protect wood. Marine wood also

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi Ninja View Post
    what's linseed oil? never heard of it, where could i find em? and by 50, you meant 50 degrees for 100 minutes correct? basically it just darken the wood right? sorry for too many questions lol. nice review btw.

Just use mineral oil. If you are in the usa it can be found in the laxative isle at walgreens etc.. By 50 degrees I'm assuming he's talking about celcius there. I've done a similar treatment to my saya's by vacuuming the mineral oil under extreme pressure but I didn't heat them up. It looked really good when I was done regardless.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

What's really strange is I was reading this exact review on the knives.pl site just today!!

Is there some way to get the effect of vacuuming without any special equipment? Can a long soak in oil do the same type of thing?

Just apply and let it soak in then let it dry then repeat as necessary then finish by buffing it by hand with a cloth. You can use a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax in the final step as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi Ninja View Post
    Linseed oil is a medium used by many oil painters; it can be found in art supply stores: http://www.dickblick.com/products/wi...d-linseed-oil/

thanks for all the quick response guys. definitely have to give this a try when i collect all the masamoto knives i wanted

+ Reply to Thread