DT dammy suji & petty wip

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
001-68.jpg

003-61.jpg

001-70.jpg

Here is a 290mm suji and 150mm petty made from Hoss's SS dammy for Salty.They are on there way to Hoss for some of his magical HT.

Looks like you also borrowed a certain knife from Salty. :bigeek: I really like the profile on the petty.

004-69.jpg

I finally started this project.Here is the 170mm petty @ x65 grit.I was chased out of my garage by mosquito(***) so I had to stop.

Looking good! No Fricken mosquitos here yet! We had a foot of snow last night! Worst part? Yesterday, there was no snow... all gone! Wake up this morning and poof! Artic Circle!

That's a really sexy suji profile. Just enough sweep before the tip. The petty profile also looks like it could excel at a variety of tasks.

001-74.jpg

Pre etching

008-48.jpg

009-44.jpg

010-37.jpg

014-20.jpg

013-22.jpg

012-26.jpg

011-28.jpg

So this one is almost finished.It does look darker in person.I will spend the weekend working on the suji and the following week practicing on making a D handle.

**** man, that damy worked out.

Seriously, it seems that's exactly where that pattern should be. heheheh

The pattern is looking great. What does Devin call it?

Are both profiles patterned after Masa honyakis? Dead sexy. Can't wait to see the big suji!

Boy howdy, those are already awesome knives. I can imagine the customs will be incredible. The "faces" closer to the heel of the petty are pretty funny. :)

**** man, that damy worked out.

Seriously, it seems that's exactly where that pattern should be. heheheh

Devin's ability to make damascus that follows the natural shape of the finished product is always remarkable to me and should set the bar for aspirations for all other forgers out there.

I asked after picking it out what steel it was. Stainless, carbon?

He probably wasn't surprised when I picked that one out. He knows my tastes.

Thanks again Devin.

Looking good Mario. Is that a rhino-lined truck bed as your background?

I like the hazy final etch/finish.

This finish was very hard to achieve.The lower grit finish made the pattern pop but you could see the scratches on the "bald spots" so to speak,and a high finish made the bald spots to shiny.I tried five different grit finishs and thought this one was the best.

Absolutely stunning, well played! I can't wait to see these in person the next time I head up to your restaurant Scott.

001-77.jpg

Here is a sneak peek at the suji handle so far.I need to give it a good coat of CA before I grind in the facets.This particular tooth is such a PITA to work with,if the next piece I work with is this hard I just won't use this stuff anymore.By the time this handle is done I will have $70 worth of abrasives spent and there is no way to make a profit.

Looks great!

Are you going to give a coat of CA for snakewood? I have seen many references on internet that it cracks easily, most coming from pen turners.

Drilling is the trickiest (without overheating) but shaping should be fine as long as you go slow.

Accidentally, I am working on a snakewood handle as well. :)

M

The snakewwood and tooth need some CA to fill the cracks.I use 2P-10 thin,it is designed for filling cracks and to solidify decaying wood.I will give another coat when I am at 320 grit.

Latest posts

Back