• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS - Tadatsuna Kamagata Usuba 180mm White Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have a personal sale here, it's a kamagata style usuba.

This came to me in poor condition. As I recall the edge was chipped out, the shinogi line was uneven and the ura (back side) had a lot of sharpening wear. I wanted it because I had the notion that once I had it back in shape I'd practice the whole daikon peeling thing but the reality is that I never have time to do anything. So this just sits hanging on my mag rack for years now and I'm thinking that I'd like to sell it and open up a slot for a Martell nakiri that I may actually use one day. :)

Stats

Maker -
Ikkanshi Tadatsuna

Size - 180mm
Blade length - 165mm (cutting edge)

Handle - Ho wood w/buffalo horn ferrule (buffalo has 2 chips at the front end - top & bottom side - see pictures for details)

Saya - yes

Steel - White #2

Condition - Good/Refurbished, blade is hamaguriba and ready for the stones

Price - $225 (shipping to CONUS included in price)

Thanks for looking,
Dave

*Edited for to add in maker & steel type

p1010001.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.JPG

P1010016.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the kanji on the back (一竿子忠綱 特別打) and a bit of Googling, it's a Tadatsuna in white #2.

This is a great deal here, just the sharpening job from Dave makes this a good value and its a tadatsuna can't go wrong here. Wish I had the dough. This doesn't include a saya or does it?

Correction > Saya & Box found in drawer hiding! :)

No Saya Price still stands though - $199 (including shipping to CONUS)

P1010003.jpg

P1010002.jpg

This knife will suit the beginner who is concerned with getting a bum usuba (very common) that they can't deal with to the seasoned professional user. It is ready to go to work and is set up for easy sharpening when the time comes. This is a deal that won't come along too often. :)

Yep, by looking at the saya, even though not knowing the kanji, it is a Tadatsuna. But we have some very smart people on this forum...

We expect good pictures of finely shredded daicon, David!

David, you mean all this time you live without a yanagiba? We haven't been doing our jobs. Shame on us. If you get a chance to hold a yanagiba and study its shape, use, ect., it is a thing of beauty.

I've avoided a yanagiba because, well, I don't eat fish. But my wife is trying to cook more of it at home (for herself), and I'm happy to help with the prep. I recently gutted a bunch of smelts for her, although I was not as fast at it as the guy in the akiri video (first time I understood why those little knives existed!). I hope to pick up a deba at some point in order to break down fish for her, and a yanigiba will likely follow.

Back