Quantcast
Buying a new cleaver
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying a new cleaver

Buying a new cleaver

Andys thread on all his cleavers gets me itching to get another cleaver. Currently I am sporting all lightweights (cck 1303, Fanatic and j.jones custom) and I think I am ready to jump up into the big league. Looking at something sub $200.00 torn between a Suien VC, CCK 1103, Misono stainless, or Sugimoto.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I just got a CCK 1103 and am really happy with it. I only have like three days of use on it but, it already feels comfortable in my hand. I did sand the handle with 240/600, hot soak in oil/wax, round and polish spine and choil and sharpen before use because fit and finish was no where I would like. The steel seems to be rather non-reactive, I have tried to see if it would react or rust after what I had heard but it only showed a slight patina after I did a batch of apples yesterday.

I have not used any other cleavers, but I know others will probably have experience with those.

If you can get a Suein VC for $200 JUMP on it. Great medium-weight Chukabocho. Welcome to the club, and enjoy the added safety, enhanced functionality, and general moral superiority of the Chinese Cleaver. Two warnings-1: Be careful going back to a regular french knife after getting used to the tall blade of a cleaver; there is a risk of cutting yourself and 2: Be prepared to leave the rest of your knifekit in the case!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

Hax you are my king of guy.

With a little elbow grease and some patina the Suien is all the knife anyone would ever need. Honestly it's 90% of the cleaver its $300-400 brethren are. I don't know much about all the new ones that have been abounding lately like the Misono, but I'm pretty sure they are small like your other ones. Not bad just not what your OP was asking for. I do like Sugimotos, but I don't think you can find one for sub $200. They do make a cheapo smaller stainless one but I remember hearing mixed reviews on it and again not in line with your OP. Go big or go home I say. When you want to stop by and check out the collection let me know.

There is one other option, on the cheap. (and everyone else listen to this) There is one big cleaver that has never gotten much respect or caught on much. It's the Town Food Service #1 slicer. It is basically a much cheaper version of the CCK 1101 and maybe 5% thicker (still super thin). I had one for a while and kinda miss it. The beast is 240x120 and only costs $30. I can't really comment on the steel other than it is adequate and roughly on par with the CCK's. The steel has never been the strong suite on those knives, with a blade that large and thin they cut like a dream even when dull. Here's the link:

http://www.chefsresource.com/no1.html

With CCK's being more expensive than they used to be the only reason I could see picking up a CCK over one of this is the size issue. It doesn't come in a smaller version. If you wanted a CCK 1101 I'd pick up one of these instead for half the cost every day of the week.

That place is about to sell out of those cleavers and wonder why.

My first Moritaka cleaver I ordered back in 2007(?) came in under $200. Don't know if you can still get one made at that cost today. But I was really happy with it and is still one of my go to cleavers.

Price: $177 shipped
    Length: 220
    Width: 110
    Overall length: 355mm
    Spine Thickness
    Widest: 5.5mm
    Narrowest: 2mm
    Weight: 380
    Blade Material: Blue #2, kurouchi
    Handle: Buffalo horn and rosewood, round.
    Ordered: 4/25
    Received: 6/02
    Very light and thin. Balance is about 2/3rds down from the top of the blade.

My second Moritaka cleaver I had made came in over $500, but it was Damascus with a hammer finish.

Been looking for the right time/reason to try a cleaver.....this be it!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy777 View Post
    There is one other option, on the cheap. (and everyone else listen to this) There is one big cleaver that has never gotten much respect or caught on much. It's the Town Food Service #1 slicer. It is basically a much cheaper version of the CCK 1101 and maybe 5% thicker (still super thin). I had one for a while and kinda miss it. The beast is 240x120 and only costs $30. I can't really comment on the steel other than it is adequate and roughly on par with the CCK's. The steel has never been the strong suite on those knives, with a blade that large and thin they cut like a dream even when dull. Here's the link:

http://www.chefsresource.com/no1.html

With CCK's being more expensive than they used to be the only reason I could see picking up a CCK over one of this is the size issue. It doesn't come in a smaller version. If you wanted a CCK 1101 I'd pick up one of these instead for half the cost every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by hax9215 View Post
    If you can get a Suein VC for $200 JUMP on it.
    This is the cleaver we're talking about, right?

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...e-cleaver.html

Yes, I did not see that one.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!!
    A barbeque believer will not profane pork by boiling, liquid-smoking, submeging in sous-vide, or affirm with those who do.

+ Reply to Thread