Quantcast
Painting with watercolors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting with watercolors

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>

Painting with watercolors

I'm among the world's worst artists, but my youngest granddaughter seems to have a true, innate talent. I've bought her paint tubes in the past, but I've depended on people at a top notch art store, which is, sadly, now gone. So I'm reduced to buying on line. She has decent brushes, palette, storage box which I bought for her in the past. Can any of you painters give me some advice on quality paints, brand names/suppliers, which don't break the bank?

I started out as a kid doing water color but went to acrylic paints before computers. The can be used like water, oil or even other methods. Fairly inexpensive and versital media that lasts. Works on paper, canvas or even cloth and is washable so not a mess to clean up. Here is the brand I prefered and even found them in some large discount stores art supply stores when I used them. http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...ic-paints.html. The only painting I've done in years is with a computer as you can see here. http://www.dizteq.com/joestuff/gallery.html
    --
    Joe

I started out as a kid doing water color but went to acrylic paints before computers. The can be used like water, oil or even other methods. Fairly inexpensive and versital media that lasts. Works on paper, canvas or even cloth and is washable so not a mess to clean up. Here is the brand I prefered and even found them in some large discount stores art supply stores when I used them. http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-a...ic-paints.html. I even did some bike art for a friend once with them and india inks. The only painting I've done in years is with a computer as you can see here. http://www.dizteq.com/joestuff/gallery.html
    --
    Joe

I generally paint in oils and acrylics, but know a little bit about watercolors.

Dick Blick is a reliable online retailer with a large selection and good prices (there are several brick and mortar stores a short distance from me, but I have shopped them online as well).

I use M. Graham artists' watercolors. M. Graham paints are high quality and reasonably priced (Winsor & Newton is extremely popular, though a bit more expensive). Always stay away from "student" watercolors (as opposed to the more expensive "artists'" grade). Artists' grade paints have more pigment, purer color, and are easier to work with. Blick also makes their own house line of paints, which I'm sure are of decent/good quality and would save you a few dollars.

I find it best to stick with one brand (particularly when it comes to watercolors, less so with oils/acrylics). If you know what she has (and she likes it), stick with that. "Cadmium red" (for example) can be found in every line, but it can vary considerably. And not all lines mix well with each other.

If you want advice about what colors to buy her, let me know. With a few good colors, you can mix an infinite number of others.

Hope this helps. Nice of you to encourage your granddaughter's talent.

Edit: I started out taking lessons in acrylics and like Joe, think it is a great medium. Not sure if your granddaughter has ever used them. Acrylics are for more "forgiving" than watercolors (with acrylics, one can paint right over the top of a mistake once it dries). Could be fun for her to try, however it would require all new brushes.

Thanks, Joe. I knew there'd be some artists here. Beautiful computer work , but I think I want her to learn to paint with a brush first. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    I generally paint in oils and acrylics, but know a little bit about watercolors.

If you want advice about what colors to buy her, let me know. With a few good colors, you can mix an infinite number of others.

Thanx, for the tips, Johnny B. I think people are crazy not to encourage youngsters, especially when the talent is so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post

Dick Blick is a reliable online retailer with a large selection and good prices (there are several brick and mortar stores a short distance from me, but I have shopped them online as well).

I use M. Graham artists' watercolors. M. Graham paints are high quality and reasonably priced (Winsor & Newton is extremely popular, though a bit more expensive). Always stay away from "student" watercolors (as opposed to the more expensive "artists'" grade). Artists' grade paints have more pigment, purer color, and are easier to work with. Blick also makes their own house line of paints, which I'm sure are of decent/good quality and would save you a few dollars.

I find it best to stick with one brand (particularly when it comes to watercolors, less so with oils/acrylics). If you know what she has (and she likes it), stick with that. "Cadmium red" (for example) can be found in every line, but it can vary considerably. And not all lines mix well with each other.

Ditto on the Winsor & Newton oil paints. I like them a lot. With oil you can do palette knife work too, like Van Gough. He used amazing color combinations that shouldn't work when you got up close and looked at them, but standing back it worked. If she uses canvas on frames, soak them in water and let them dry. The shrinkage will tighten up the canvas.
    Acrylic paints have some bright and sharp colors and the advantage of drying quicker to put on finishing touches. I have waited two days on palette knife oil paint to do more work. If you need some oil paint I have some Winsor Newton, Winton oil color in the garage I can mail you, even a palette knife and some brushes. I was covering 20 square foot canvases a little color goes a long way just buy a big tube of white to mix it with. Any way if you need some oil paint supplies I can mail them.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Thanks, Joe. I knew there'd be some artists here. Beautiful computer work , but I think I want her to learn to paint with a brush first. ;-)
    Its the best way and the way I learned also. I started with pencil first then went to charcoal, inks followed by watercolor, oils (which I hated) then acrylics as the best of both water color and oil.. Computers came late in life as the software finally caught up so one could actually paint with one.
    --
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    Its the best way and the way I learned also. I started with pencil first then went to charcoal, inks followed by watercolor, oils (which I hated) then acrylics as the best of both water color and oil.. Computers came late in life as the software finally caught up so one could actually paint with one.
    Agree acrylics are the way to go.

It's not like she has an instructor, tho' my daughter is looking into some classes soon. Are there books/DVDs which any of you would recommend? Acrylics seems to be the way to go, is she just as well off to practice her skills with watercolors, or just jump right into acrylics?