Quantcast
Painting with watercolors - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting with watercolors

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    It's not like she has an instructor, tho' my daughter is looking into some classes soon. Are there books/DVDs which any of you would recommend? Acrylics seems to be the way to go, is she just as well off to practice her skills with watercolors, or just jump right into acrylics?
    Only my opinion, love acrylics. Have her let go of all fear turn on some music and just go for it. That is how I started. Letting go of fear of a mistake i did better work. There is always time to regiment and train later if it's necessary or desired.

It's not like she has an instructor, tho' my daughter is looking into some classes soon. Are there books/DVDs which any of you would recommend? Acrylics seems to be the way to go, is she just as well off to practice her skills with watercolors, or just jump right into acrylics?
    Actually there is really little difference between water colors and acrylics as acrylics are easy to use like water colors. Now the get a bit harder when used like oil paints with the advantage of drying faster. When I started there was no such thing as video in any form so books worked for me. I started with simple art books as a kid and went from there to coping others work to see how close I could come. I then went to taking pictures and using them as something to paint. The one I did of the old truck is a good example, I did that using a picture of an old dodge truck in a junk yard to get the lines of it. The rest was added from my own mind and it is done to resemble water color or acrylic look and feel to it.

As for the books they make them on about every subject from people, animals, landscapes etc. They are generally easy to find and I've even seen them in stores like Sears, Walmart etc. most being paper back kind of like a scetch pad format. These might be a good place to start as I've had no formal lessons either just self taught. http://www.walterfoster.com/
    --
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    Actually there is really little difference between water colors and acrylics as acrylics are easy to use like water colors. Now the get a bit harder when used like oil paints with the advantage of drying faster. When I started there was no such thing as video in any form so books worked for me. I started with simple art books as a kid and went from there to coping others work to see how close I could come. I then went to taking pictures and using them as something to paint. The one I did of the old truck is a good example, I did that using a picture of an old dodge truck in a junk yard to get the lines of it. The rest was added from my own mind and it is done to resemble water color or acrylic look and feel to it.

As for the books they make them on about every subject from people, animals, landscapes etc. They are generally easy to find and I've even seen them in stores like Sears, Walmart etc. most being paper back kind of like a scetch pad format.
    It's been awhile, four kids and leaving my oil paintings to dry didn't mix well. Those landscape books are really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    It's been awhile, four kids and leaving my oil paintings to dry didn't mix well. Those landscape books are really cool.
    I can relate since I had 4 kids, 17 grand kids and as of yesterday 6 great grand kids. Hard to do hobbies with kids.
    --
    Joe

I can relate since I had 4 kids, 17 grand kids and as of yesterday 6 great grand kids. Hard to do hobbies with kids.
    But it is worth it when they run up and give you a hug. You are the most important thing in the world. Congratulations on another great grand kid. Hope to be there for that in my life.

I've always had good luck ordering from Dick Blick (www.dickblick.com). One nice thing about them is that they list separte "student level" supplies. Nice things, but not as pricey as what pros would use. And most supplies are available in small sets so she can try out with some basic colors and materials.

I like Golden acrylics. Another thing she can do with acrylics--they have fixatives that you can mix with them and paint on fabric. She can make her own T-shirts.

Another thing she might like--water color pencils. You draw with the pencils then use a water-filled brush on the drawing to get a watercolor-like effect.

Art supplies are as bad as knifes as far as endless ways to spend $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    But it is worth it when they run up and give you a hug. You are the most important thing in the world. Congratulations on another great grand kid. Hope to be there for that in my life.
    Careful what you wish for, retroactive birth control has crossed my mind on more than one occasion, especially in the teen years.
    --
    Joe

Careful what you wish for, retroactive birth control has crossed my mind on more than one occasion, especially in the teen years.
    LMAO I get that. They already have their moments.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Wow, what great ideas and feedback. I guess I should bear in mind that Olivia is only 8 and has plenty of time for trial and error/mistakes. ;-)

Wow, what great ideas and feedback. I guess I should bear in mind that Olivia is only 8 and has plenty of time for trial and error/mistakes. ;-)
    The way I learned was by free hand copying the pictures in the art books. Pick one subject to start and go with it till you have it. Learn to draw it first the painting will come over time. At least that was the way I did it. I also highly recommend if she has the talent keep her interested in it, even if she never does much with it as in a career it is still very relaxing for me to do now.
    --
    Joe