Footwear Poll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajhuff

Banned
Reaction score
I notice we don't have a poll function like I see in other forums. Bummer. Anyway, I'm thinking of switching footwear in the kitchen. What do you guys like? Clogs, black casuals, tennis shoes, motorcycle boots, what? Even better, if you strongly prefer something or despise a particular type of shoe for some reason, please share why.

Thanks!

-AJ

Try the rubber Birkenstocks ONCE and you will be hooked. Not a great walking shoe, but terrific for standing all day and no dryrot.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

I wear Vibram Trek LS, I am a big believer in minimalist footwear, no foot or back pain since I switched to minimalist shoes. It does take some time to adapt to less shoe, allow the foot muscles to properly strengthen, but I will never go back to regular thick, squishy, soled shoes.

+1 for profi birkis. I actually prefer the leather and cork clogs, but in my kitchen we scrub our own floors, so they tend to die too quickly.

Shoes for crews here, usually 2 pair/year, but I bought the black label and so far I am a year strong and still going.

+1 on the "super birkies" comfortable and durable.

Birkis have that weird bump by the toes. Have a pair and hate them. Current favs are actually the new Croc Bitalli Bistros in carbon....wouldn't be caught dead outside of work in them, though.

Birkis have that weird bump by the toes. Have a pair and hate them. Current favs are actually the new Croc Bitalli Bistros in carbon....wouldn't be caught dead outside of work in them, though.

Agree with the whole statement.. Hate the burkis cause of the bump.. Either crocs or shoes for crews.

+1 on crocs, but you won't be winning any style points, but hey you will be comfortable.

Shoes for crews here, usually 2 pair/year, but I bought the black label and so far I am a year strong and still going.

+1000

I have the shoes for crews clogs and I have been going over 2 years with them, and I've worn them tons more than just in the kitchen. I recently got a new pair since I've almost worn out the tread on the heels of the first ones, but I can't bring myself to retire the old ones they are just too comfortable in them. The first pair I got were the white ones (to just be different) second pair are black and I love them both. For under 25/30 bucks for 2 years hard hard use I can't see myself getting anything else anytime soon.

+1 for profi birkis. I actually prefer the leather and cork clogs, but in my kitchen we scrub our own floors, so they tend to die too quickly.

Dusty, Shankster, and Hax, I've looked over the Birkenstock website and don't see any rubber ones nor any that match up with "Profi". I have never worn Birkenstocks and know nothing about them. Any help?

Thanks,

-AJ

Kalaeb,

What kind of show from there? Clogs, a work boot, black athletic shoe?

Thanks,

-AJ

Sorry guys,

Thanks for the references but except for the crocs and Birkenstocks I can't tell if you are referring to clogs or work shoes or something else?

-AJ

I had crocs bistro, and they were fantastic when I worked a small line and didn't walk much. But then I left them outside in the sun when wet and they shrank....I wore them anyways, they were too tight for a few months. One of the dumbest things I've ever done--ruined my life for a few years, lost some bone and a tonenail, and they almost had to amputate my foot(not kidding at all). All I'm saying is, get good shoes.

The shoes for crews is what I'm wearing now because I am running around all day at my current job and they wear out so bloody fast. I can see the plastic poking through the heel in about 3 weeks. I lose the soles at about 4-5 months. I need to check for this "Black Label" thing from them.

I wear the birki's closed back clog. Had my first pair for 3 yrs. the second now for a year. Hate shoes for crew's the gave my feet up to my legs bad cramps, and pain with over a hour of standing or walking in them. I do a ton of turning and am bad on the soles of the shoes.

I first fell in love with a clog style from a pair of free pair of "Klogs". Never could find more.

I wear Vibram Trek LS, I am a big believer in minimalist footwear, no foot or back pain since I switched to minimalist shoes. It does take some time to adapt to less shoe, allow the foot muscles to properly strengthen, but I will never go back to regular thick, squishy, soled shoes.
+1. I'm not a cook but I've spent long hours on my feet. I've tried a lot of footwear and the $200 insole thing. I love Vibrams. I also use Merrill's minimalist shoes when I want to wear some socks.

Kalaeb,

What kind of show from there? Clogs, a work boot, black athletic shoe?

Thanks,

-AJ

They are actually a dress shoe, but are water proof. Many of the shoes from shoes for crews are faux leather, but the Senators are all leather uppers and feel great. I am in the kitchen 70% of the time and never have any issues with soggy feet or stink. I beat them senseless, a little shoe shine and they are good as new. Be careful the shoes you buy from there as they can have crappy uppers, I have seen many fall apart and crack within 3 months, but the leather stuff is pretty good.

http://www.shoesforcrews.com/sfc3/index.cfm?changeWebsite=US_en&route=c_store.viewDetailsOfProduct&partnumber=1201

Aj, Profi birkis are the more sturdy rubber clogs. Perhaps they're called something else in the states.

Have you guys tried these? The slip on version ofKeen Utility -- I've done the yellow box shoes you get from walmart (treadsafe, I think) and they gave me foot problems. I did the bistro crocs and they fell apart on me. Like the man said, fine for a small line but if you have to move a lot forget about it. Was about to get some birkis but these were way more comfortable and didn't slip around on my feet. Couple of months in and these are my favorite shoes I've ever owned. I would wear them everywhere if the gf let me.

http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wall/shoes/men/service

PS +1 on minimalist...just not in the kitchen; great for jogging.

Birki Professionals

Or, the Alpro A630, which is what I wear. Birkenstock insoles, but no toe ridge like mentioned previously.

You guys with the SFC and Crocs, man, I don't know how you do that to your feet, back, etc.

I wear the birki's closed back clog. Had my first pair for 3 yrs. the second now for a year. Hate shoes for crew's the gave my feet up to my legs bad cramps, and pain with over a hour of standing or walking in them. I do a ton of turning and am bad on the soles of the shoes.

I first fell in love with a clog style from a pair of free pair of "Klogs". Never could find more.

Klogs makes great clogs for kitchen wear. If I had more disposable footwear funds I would snag a pair of these.

Thanks guys for the insights on back pain, leg pain and sciatic pain, all of which are an issue for me. I'll have to trk down to the big city and try some of these on since I have an extra wide foot that complicates things.

Looks like most of you prefer clogs?

Thanks again,

-AJ

Back