Knife Expo 2012 - Pasadena California - March 23rd thru 25th

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
March 23rd thru 25th there is a knife show in Pasadena California.
I skipped last year, but the year before was a really good show. Didn't want to miss it this year.

The show is called Knife Expo 2012. This is the show's 27th year.
It is held at the Pasadena Convention Center
300 East Green Street, Pasadena, CA 91101

I will be at table #s 104 and 105 along the back wall.
Hopefully I will get to see some of you at the show.

I went last year and had a good time. If I make it this year, I'll make sure to stop by your booth and pick up something. I've been meaning to pick up a small block of something nice to have a friend turn a new shaving brush for me.

I went last year and it was fun. I met Shinichi Watanabe and bought a gyuto off of him. I think that weekend will be last in California but I definitely want to try to make it out.

I'll try to show up. My in-laws are thinking of visiting around that time.

This show also has a bad memory for me that sometimes gives me nightmares.

As I was setting up my tables, an older gentleman approached me asking if I would be interested in some Ironwood burl?
He was ending his knifemaking career because of health reasons. Without thinking I told him "No Thank You" and suggested he talk to one of the other suppliers who had a table there.

After I finished setting up I wandered over to see the other supplier, curious to see if he bought the ironwood.
He had, 50 blocks of old stock ironwood burl for $500.
I still have bad dreams when I remember this.

Does anybody know if Watanabe will be there again this year? Or any other kitchen knife makers? I went to their website but no vendor list.

thx

This is next week, who is going? I think I'll be there Friday.

After I finished setting up I wandered over to see the other supplier, curious to see if he bought the ironwood.
He had, 50 blocks of old stock ironwood burl for $500.
I still have bad dreams when I remember this.

How much would that normally be worth?

I didn't see it of course, but judging by the average price of ironwood blocks I see on the net, 50 blocks @ $40 a piece would be $2,000.
Yeah. I think that's a fairly conservative number. Really nice blocks can go for much more. Prices have gone up a lot in recent years.

sorry, cant be in both places at once... also have a visitor from japan, so i'm even more limited than usual

sorry, cant be in both places at once... also have a visitor from japan, so i'm even more limited than usual
No problem. Maybe you can just put up your coordinates on Google via your phone and I'll track you down as needed. :knife:

I might try to visit the JKI store Friday morning and then hit up the show that afternoon. I can't leave California without a visit to JKI.

I went last year and it was fun. I met Shinichi Watanabe and bought a gyuto off of him. I think that weekend will be last in California but I definitely want to try to make it out.

Do you have pics of this Watanabe?

Today I started boxing up stuff that I am taking to the show.
I had held back some of the new stuff so I would be able to make a good impression with what I have on my tables.
I am hoping a bunch of you that are in southern California will come to the show.

This is some of the stuff I have already packed.

Koa
show010.jpg

Blackwood - The Browner stuff
show009.jpg

Maple
show007.jpg

Sycamore
show006.jpg

Buckeye, Madrone & Sycamore
show005.jpg

Koa
show004.jpg

Mango & Koa
show003.jpg

Redwood
show002.jpg

Redwood
show001.jpg

I will have more than this at my tables.
I am still cutting scales and cleaning up other pieces.
Plus I will be closing the store and bring those pieces as well.

I am expecting 2 or 3 hundred pounds of new stuff to be waiting for me here when I get back.

Back